Need help starting my TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Need help starting my TW200

Need help starting my TW200

I have a 2005 TW200 (I bought new) that hasn't been run for about 4 or 5 months. I can get it to run only with the choke wide open. After it starts wide open and I slowly close the choke, about halfway in it stops. I have taken the 2-year old carb apart and cleaned and blown out everything. Adjusting the pilot screw helps some, but I can't get it right.

Historical background: Unfortunately about 2 years ago I had a similar problem. I hadn't properly maintained it while it sat and the carb filled with gunk (shame on me). Last time after creming the rusty tank, installing a fuel filter, and cleaning the carb several times (by using excellent help from this forum), I had to take it to the dealer to get it to run. They couldn't get it to run either and replaced the carb because they said it had an air leak somewhere. Hence the 2-year old carb. Incidently, it never did start well after this work. I live in east Tennessee where condensation can be a problem, i.e. cold winters and humid summers. I like the bike, but it is frustrating to keep running. It has always been cold natured. I also have a 2003, 1100 V Star Classic that gets more riding time...maybe because it is morre dependable and requires less attention.

Welcome to the forum!

Typically when this problem surfaces, it ends up being within the pilot jet area. I would suggest getting some Lucus Deep System Fuel Cleaner, or SeaFoam. (The Lucus works better initially for these problems) Seafoam can be used once in a while later to keep stuff clean and running nice. Use the Lucus first. Put in 3 or 4 ounces in the gas tank and run the engine, ride it if you can. Let it sit for awhile, ride it again, continue until you know if it will work or not. This could take a couple days. If it is not any better, the carb has to come apart again and be cleaned.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks for the feedback, littletommy. I'll give the Lucus a try. I use SeaFoam. I've seen your advice on other threads and you seem to be an expert.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm no expert that's for sure, but I'll give ya the best I got bro!! If you already have the Seafoam, put several ounces in the tank, more than I recommend on the Lucus. But first I might try taking the gas line off from the petcock and putting Seafoam directly in the line and cranking it over to draw some right into the pilot. Keep me posted alright?
    2005TW200 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

rbm
    Drain the tank. Add one gallon of fresh fuel triple dosed with Seafoam and run it. Let it sit for a day and repeat. Repeat three times. Or, clean the pilot jet.
    littletommy and 2005TW200 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I'm no expert that's for sure, but I'll give ya the best I got bro!! If you already have the Seafoam, put several ounces in the tank, more than I recommend on the Lucus. But first I might try taking the gas line off from the petcock and putting Seafoam directly in the line and cranking it over to draw some right into the pilot. Keep me posted alright?
    Will do.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Drain the tank. Add one gallon of fresh fuel triple dosed with Seafoam and run it. Let it sit for a day and repeat. Repeat three times. Or, clean the pilot jet.
    Thanks, rbm. I've drained the tank and the cleaned pilot jet. However, it seems I need to repeat these activities.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

I'll post updates as I try different things.
    littletommy likes this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005TW200 View Post
    Thanks, rbm. I've drained the tank and the cleaned pilot jet. However, it seems I need to repeat these activities.
    Let the Seafoam do its thing, trust me.
    littletommy and 2005TW200 like this.

First, I can't believe the dealer made you buy a new carb....absolutely unnecessary...and expensive, unless there is a severe crack or a piece broken off.

It is definitely the pilot jet and/or pilot jet internal passageways.

I went through this a couple months ago with my '05 TW, when once again I went off for the season without draining the carb and winterizing the bike.

The end hole of my pilot jet was completely blocked, and even one of the side air holes on the emulsion tube was clogged.

The Seafoam is probably the best bet without disassembling the carb again.

Be sure to remove the pilot screw and squirt some carb cleaner up the hole...make sure the washer and oring are in place when you reassemble it.

My TW lives a couple of hours south of you, over the mountain from Tellico Plains.

I would offer my services to you (for free) but I am stuck in FL working on a construction project.

I should be in NC/TN later in the summer if you are still having problems.

....and find another dealer.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links