1990 Yamaha tw will not start electric when in neutral with kick stand down
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1990 Yamaha tw will not start electric when in neutral with kick stand down

Angry 1990 Yamaha tw will not start electric when in neutral with kick stand down

Hi I am having a really frustrating thing with my tw, it's a 1990, I have to have my clutch in other wise it won't start, if I have my kick stand up and in neutral and clutch engaged and it will start just fine, I can release the clutch and will still be running, but if I put the kick stand down while in neutral it dies. And the neutral light at the handle bars don't light up anymore either! Any ideas what this could be? Any help would be much appreciated. I know that when in gear you can't put the kickstand down other wise it dies, but why while in neutral

The bike has 3 switches that are for safety concerns. Kickstand/Clutch lever/Neutral. It sounds like your kickstand switch is bad or maybe has come loose of it normal spot.
    The circuit is broken and no start.

I have a TW it sometimes dies when I put the stand up, not always, I just put it down and back up and it goes.
    Now my XR650L had a hard start problem for 10 years, I came upon a YouTube video of my exact problem. Now the baby starts every time without trouble.
    It has a weird wiring issue and it won't start if cold, well maybe after 5 minutes of trying and the battery is almost dead. Well, NW Adventurer had the answer.
    He shows it on his video, if you put the stand up, it fires right up, stand down, it won't start.
    The bike is very tall and I have always started it after getting my gear on. I've had trouble since buying it in 02, I would stand there and crank on it til hell froze over, no start or it would back fire like a bomb just went off.
    Now I choke it half way put the stand up hit the button and she purrs to life. Put the stand down and get my gear on while it warms up.
    Yeah, I can work with that.
    VDR
    littletommy likes this.
    Old As Dirt,

Living in Las Vegas and loving it.

Welcome to the forum Brad!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome Brad! Will it start with the stand down with the clutch engaged? How about with the stand up with the clutch disengaged in neutral? It sounds like you might have a neutral safety switch issue, check your wiring. There are a couple of threads on here regarding the neutral safety switch.

Hi thank you! And thanks for the quick reply! Sorry I took so long to write back I had to work late, so my tw will not start at all if the kick stand is down, not even with the clutch engaged, and my neutral light does not turn on any more when in neutral, you think it's the neutral safety switch? Where is that located at exactly? I have the service manual but can't tell where it's at I don't see it in my bike

It will start every time if clutch is engaged and kickstand is up but if I put the kickstand down it kills the bike even with clutch engaged

If it is the neutral safety switch, it is inside the left hand case cover, where the chain goes into. It has to come off to do that repair.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I've been messing with the bike trying to figure this thing out, when the Stand is up and I squeeze the clutch I can hear the starting circuit cut off relay switch ticking, is that normal? It does not tick if the stand is down

Where should I start to figure this thing out?

Brad, it would be best if we waited for other members to pipe in. I removed all the safety switches a few years ago and I can't remember now. I think the answers are in the main shop manual for testing though. Have you downloaded those? They are free, in the Technical section. Go to the Technical help section, click on the first thing you see which is Technical Write-Ups. You will find both owners manual and the main shop manual.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links