Bike is Missing
Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Bike is Missing

Bike is Missing

So, the latest issue in my TW200 Rescue Project is that it has started missing. It already has a new carburetor and is jetted properly based on my wideband O2 sensor testing. It has a DG exhaust, XT225 head pipe and a TwinAir air filter.

I hadn't really ridden the thing long enough before for it to really be noticeable. It almost seems like it's temperature related. It only happens at part-throttle... from idle up to maybe 2/3 throttle. Above that, it goes away. Like if it starts doing it while I'm riding, and I open it up, the missing stops.

When it happens, the carburetor does not move; not like how my old carburetor was bouncing around when it would pop (and it did it much worse).

I've had three ignition coils on it... the one that came with it, a Chinese knock-off (which missed constantly) and now another OEM used coil. The used one I just got today acts exactly like my original coil. I'm wondering if I have yet another bad coil, or if it's something else. I suppose it could be the carburetor, but I thought I'd ask here before I tear into it again.

I shot a quick 15-sec video of it missing at idle when I got back from my test ride tonight.

Thanks!
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

that there sounds like a lean miss to me, mine does the same thing when cold, so I would say you have a carb issue theres my .02 for ya,,, good luck
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

Nah it was missing before that. And besides, the bars are still crooked.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am on the opposite side with a miss. 1/3-1/2 throttle(taller gears) under load and it pops, backfires and blows a blue flame out the exhaust.... I will be checking my carb first...... Anything after that is real expensive....
    1991 TW200

I guess I'll go through this morning and add a half turn to the AF screw and then raise the needle with a shim and see how it goes. Maybe I'll pull it and doublecheck the float height while I'm at it.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Back... float height was only 21mm. Spec is 26-28. I adjusted it to 26. I also went up one MJ size, went to 3 turns on the AF screw, and shimmed the needle again. The result? It's worse. It starts missing at idle almost right away. It misses so badly now that it will actually stall the bike. And when I rev it, the revs stay high for a while before coming back down.

So, short of undoing what I just did, I'm not sure what to do. If the problem isn't in the carburetor, as Lyterx suggests, what could it be? Timing?
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Making the mixture richer and the miss increases? Going back induces it miss less again?
    Doesn't sound like lean misfire. Look at plug? Fouled plug? Hook up timing light to check CDI.
    Loose little parts?
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

So, here's the latest since I posted that.

I hooked up my wideband O2 sensor again. I saw that idle was very lean... lambda values of 1.05 to 1.08. I turned the AF screw out... somewhere between 3-1/2 and 3-3/4 is my best guess since I did it with the motor running. It's now idling a lot better at 0.92 to 0.98. For those who don't know, the Lambda value is how rich or lean it is, where 1.0 is perfect (14.7:1); under 1.0 is rich, above 1.0 is lean.

I noticed when it would miss, that the Lambda value would jump into lean, usually around 20%.

I posted all this in a new thread on ADVrider. One guy said it was carbon deposits. I suppose that's possible; the bike has had a lot of short rides, and nothing real long. So using his advice, I sprayed water into the airbox a few times with the RPMs up (with the motor good 'n hot). I killed it a few times, but after that I rode into town... up and down a big hill between here and there, so it got plenty hot. It missed quite a bit on the way there, but only once or twice on the way back.

I'm starting to think I may try raising the needle again. I noticed it get quite hot on the way back, hotter than I've ever seen it on my Vapor. This is at the spark plug, btw, not oil temp... but I saw 408 deg. So it may still be a bit lean. As for why it ran worse earlier today, I dunno.

I already changed the spark plug this morning, rechecked the valves, etc. How do you check the CDI? I have an inductive timing light. I'd like to give that a shot.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Jeez - it's just running badly? From the title of the post I thought somebody stole your bike (or you forgot where you left it). So be happy it's just making a funny noise. you can fix that.

Dude — this is a TW you’re talking about here — not a Formula One racing car

Just get on it — ride it — and thrash the tits off it …………
    ZDR1 likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links