Bike idling funny as well as the neutral light doesnt work.
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By Gyroshark

Thread: Bike idling funny as well as the neutral light doesnt work.

Bike idling funny as well as the neutral light doesnt work.

I bought a 2004 TW around a 1.5 years ago. The original owner had the bike sitting for a very long time, when I picked it up it only had around 4700 miles on it. The neutral light used to work fine when I first got it, then stopped working about a month. I didn't think much about it as I knew how to get into neutral without the light. I then was revving the bike to try and see how slowly it fell back down to idle, which took and still sometimes takes a long time. Whilst I was doing this the light came back on again and lasted for about a week, it then shut off and hasn't worked since, its been about 4 months since the light has worked. I tried to take a look at the plugs in the front of the bike that led to the panel with the neutral light and came to the conclusion that I have no idea what I should do with those or how I should check their connections are right. So I unplugged them, sprayed them with some compressed air to try and clean them out which didnt work. Also the high beam light wont work either. The reason I'm looking to get these fixed is because I'm selling the bike and the buyer is a beginner and would like at least for the neutral light to work. Could the bulbs simply be burnt out? The indicator light still works so it cant be that the plug is bad. The bike is stored inside and has sat out in the rain maybe one or two times only for a short time. Any ideas on what I should do about this? is there any more obvious troubleshooting that I've missed?

Anyways onto the next problem. The bike has never idled correctly really. Even after riding it for about 10 minutes when you pull in the clutch it idles then will start to skip then die, I've had it happen numerous times at stop signs and at intersections. As I said the bike did sit for quite a while so could it be that the carb just needs to be cleaned? The bike also as I mentioned briefly above takes a while to come down to idle if its revved up. Also I've noticed the bike to suddenly idle really high when I pull the clutch in sometimes. For example I'll be cursing along for 10 minutes, pull up to a stop sign and the bike will idle fine. However the next stop sign I pull up to and pull the clutch in the bike will start to idle extremely high. I have checked the idle screw and had to adjust it many times while at a stop sign to keep the bike from revving too high or cutting out entirely. I'm not very skilled mechanically I haven't worked on a bike very in depth at all unfortunately. Any help and/or advice whatsoever with these issues would be awesome, and if you need me to explain more thoroughly just let me know!

-Gyro

Welcome to the forum Gyro!

I will answer one of your questions. Yes, it is not unusual for the indicator bulbs to burn. I had to replace a number of mine several times on my 2005 before I replaced them with LED's.

Checking these bulbs is super easy. The plastic housing which covers these bulbs is held on with two screws. These screws are very small and easy to lose, so be careful not to drop these. Just loosen both screws and try to pull the housing and screws off together. With the cover off, check to see if these lights are working. If not, the indicator bulbs can then be removed by pushing down and turning them counterclockwise. Then you can check the filament to see if it is broken or you can use a continuity tester. If your high beam indicator or turn signal bulb works but not your neutral light, then move one of the working bulbs into the neutral light socket. If it still doesn't work, then the problem is something other than just the bulb.

I hope this helps,

Brian
    littletommy and jbfla like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Welcome to the forum Gyro!

I will answer one of your questions. Yes, it is not unusual for the indicator bulbs to burn. I had to replace a number of mine several times on my 2005 before I replaced them with LED's.

Checking these bulbs is super easy. The plastic housing which covers these bulbs is held on with two screws. These screws are very small and easy to lose, so be careful not to drop these. Just loosen both screws and try to pull the housing and screws off together. With the cover off, check to see if these lights are working. If not, the indicator bulbs can then be removed by pushing down and turning them counterclockwise. Then you can check the filament to see if it is broken or you can use a continuity tester. If your high beam indicator or turn signal bulb works but not your neutral light, then move one of the working bulbs into the neutral light socket. If it still doesn't work, then the problem is something other than just the bulb.

I hope this helps,

Brian
    I thought the issue was a lot deeper than this however you were right! It was just the bulbs. My next question would be where exactly to get these and what the part number would be for them. As well as do they make these in LED form? I have a feeling LED's would last a lot longer. Thanks again!

-Gyro
    TW-Brian likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Your high idle happening "on occasion" could be as simple as the throttle cable needing lubed. Or maybe the cable housing is slipping out of its location and not allowing the slide to spring back into its idle spot. Hope this helps, and your cure is simple.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Sponosred Links