fixing cdi's pre 01 models
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: fixing cdi's pre 01 models

fixing cdi's pre 01 models

are there any cdi savvy guys out there….

i have 4 cdi's that are faulty and would like to try to make them work if possible..i dont like to bodge stuff in general, this is just something id like to mess about with over the weekend before i buy 2 used for the bikes. i have a tw that has already had this done with a 2nd cdi being used rather than the black & white relays and both spliced together, but i dont know what the 2nd cdi if from, also a bike i sold had a honda cdi wired in..but my mechanic guy is away for a few days to ask for the info

the problem with the cdi's is that they dont allow the bike to rev properly, it coughs, splutters and back fires..at first i thought it was a carb issue as the bike runs but was missing at higher revs..(it was fine when i stripped it), but after 4 days swapping jets, carbs, lots of pointing and swearing, etc i discovered it was the cdi playing up..i am guessing that this is the orange wire not giving a strong or regular spark….i do think its strange that 4 are faulty all of a sudden so this is why id like to see if there is a way i can maybe add a live from somewhere else in the loom, or earth, join some wires, by pass something …..any ideas???

i think i know what most of the wires do from the cdi...

orange - spark
    black/white- loom power from ignition
    red- live
    brown- live
    blue/yel- safety relay switch?
    green & white- pulse wire from engine?
    black - earth

any info would be appreciated,

p.s i have the wiring diagram before thats suggested.

thanks

I have a completely de-potted CDI that Im looking for help with as well. In the process of stripping all that silcone, rubber epoxy I lost some of the components on the board. What a pain in the butt!!

i tried to cut 1 open to see what was inside….i soon gave up on that!!….the local mechanic told me that a yamaha mio or fino cdi will work so i will try one of those and see, if no go then i will buy 2 used TW ones from japan.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i just baked mine in the oven tonight at 300 for just over 10 min. I put it on and its working so far. Will it last or is the bike up to its I work at random times trick again!?!?! We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
    i just baked mine in the oven tonight at 300 for just over 10 min. I put it on and its working so far. Will it last or is the bike up to its I work at random times trick again!?!?! We shall see.
    I've heard of folk successfully doing this in the past. Seemed like it was a temporary solution, but ultimately the cdi needed to be replaced. I do hope it lasts for you though, as these buggers can be expensive.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Welcome to the forum Fiddlehead!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I've heard of folk successfully doing this in the past. Seemed like it was a temporary solution, but ultimately the cdi needed to be replaced. I do hope it lasts for you though, as these buggers can be expensive.
    I agree 100%. Yamaha showing these at $373, ouch!! I'll see how long it last, then I'll have to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome to the forum Fiddlehead!!
    Thanks littletommy! I have a 89 TW that has been giving me troubles, but hoping have it back on the road this summer!
    littletommy likes this.

The best way to de-pot is to build yourself an oven out of foil-lined plywood or similar with a heat lamp in the top, controlled by a dimmer switch. The resulting radiant heat does a much better job of heating the potting material so it can be removed, while not overheating the components and board.

Bad capacitors will usually be obvious, sometimes before you even start digging. I recommend replacing all electrolytics on principle, since you have it open anyway.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

the TW guys in bangkok have used ones for $100-150, so i will try the mio scooter first for $30…much better option than $373!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links