Rings screeching...3 week old bike?
Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: Rings screeching...3 week old bike?

Rings screeching...3 week old bike?

Just thought I'd share this as an example of what can happen.

3 Weeks and 400 km of mindful break in driving and nothing more then half throttle. I did an oil/filter change which was good for an hour or so of putting around.........So we start out on a long journey (of course) and a 1/4 way out I start hearing and feeling an intermittent awful screech. I pull over and have look thinking it's the front brake. Looked fine so I started it up and it was good for the first few seconds. Then it went really bad at which point it was obviously the piston rings. I put it in neutral and got a tow from an ATV (scarey). We got it home and checked over the oil situation and all looked good. It seems like an unlucky and unavoidable situation.

The dealer is picking it up and it should be covered under warranty but talk about bad luck being midsummer and we were planning a camping trip within the next few weeks......

Sorry to hear about this. I recently performed an oil change on my 2015 and all is well.

Couple curious questions. Did you replace the oil filter or clean it? Did you "bleed" the oil from the oil check screw? Some folks swear bleeding the oil isn't necessary, though I always do.

When checked, can you tell us what the dealer said was causing the screeching?

Thanks, and hope they can fix or replace as necessary.
    Fred, dabsdog, fishguy and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Well I took off the big drain bolt and the top refill cap. Rocked and tipped all that I could to get it all out. Replaced the filter with a new one the dealer supplied. I even checked/ cleaned the screen from the drain hole. On the first oil change there were some grindings but what I suspect as a reasonable amount for break in. After screeching I changed the oil again to check the filters and no additional grindings were visible. I did exactly what the manual says...must be a coincidence that this happened after an oil change.

I'll keep ya up to date. The dealer made a big deal about getting me back on the road asap so I'm guessing it's somewhat a priority due to how new it is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That is too bad. My condolences.

What kind of oil filter did you put in? Was it the "4 hole" type? It should look like this (photo belongs to member "Indiana")...

I'm not sure. The dealer sold me the filter. When I checked it after the screeching it was ginding free with plenty of oil in it.

I bet they gave you the wrong filter. One with only 2 holes rather than the 4 needed. So, it's burning up the top end of the engine.
    Fred, fishguy, WECSOG and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Removing the oil check screw (motor running) lets you see if oil is getting to the top end and should be done every oil change like you recommend.
    littletommy and fishguy like this.

Using the "bleed screw" above the oil filter confirms that there is oil flow through the filter to the valve train. Littletommy might be right. The dealer's big deal about getting you back on the road a.s.a.p. might be due to concern that their service tech may have installed wrong filter. Like a doctor they might prefer to quickly bury their mistakes.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

1) Dealers have sold the improper oil filter in the past. It must be in stock for some other bike.

2) Always check for oil flow with the "check bolt". It makes a mess but saves top ends.

3) Sometimes this happens during break-in for almost no discernible reason. The reason it happened to me was that the shop that rebuilt the top end on my 1995 TW were idiots (no longer in business). I rebuilt it myself the next time and found ALL their errors.
    littletommy, TWilight and kj7687 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Using the "bleed screw" above the oil filter confirms that there is oil flow through the filter to the valve train. Littletommy might be right. The dealer's big deal about getting you back on the road a.s.a.p. might be due to concern that their service tech may have installed wrong filter. Like a doctor they might prefer to quickly bury their mistakes.
    Yep. That's it!
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links