Did bad juju visit my chain?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Did bad juju visit my chain?

Did bad juju visit my chain?

Today was....interesting. I was riding the scenic country backroads and spent a little time on the highway and then headed home. My speeds were 45-60 mph over a 70+ mile adventure and when I turned off onto the grass to ride the TW home, my chain popped off! Just like that! I have 1804 miles on my bike. Did the chain overheat and stretch? Is it a lower quality chain from the factory? I won't be riding it anymore until the chain is replaced, but with what brand?

I noticed before the ride that there was a reddish brown residue neat the kickstand area, but I thought it was gravel road residue and possibly chain grease mixed together. So was that an indication that bad juju was going to visit my chain?

1800 miles -- Did you oil the chain when you got the bike (zero miles ) and did you clean and oil it every 300 to 400 miles afterwards? Say 5 to 6 times? No one does on the new OEM chain and then everybody complains how crappy it is.

Reddish brown sounds like rust. Sounds like new chain time. Maybe new sprockets too. Get an o-ring chain. They are low maintenance. NOT no maintenance, but low maintenance.
    Last edited by elime; 07-20-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Elime, I didn't oil the chain and haven't cleaned or oiled it yet. I did give my bike a bath after each run on gravel....so yes, I need to replace the chain. I'll look into the o-ring chain. Thank you for your prompt reply.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Better look for sprockets to.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dirtgirl View Post
    Elime, I didn't oil the chain and haven't cleaned or oiled it yet.
    Better learn to do that with your new chain or you will be buying one every 6 months. That constitutes abuse as you just learned the hard way. There are dozens of threads here on chain maintenance, read up!

Any time you give the bike a bath you should lubricate the chain immediately, O-ring or stock. Most of us don't wash our bikes unless we get into mud for that exact reason. I just wet an old washrag and wipe it down here and there as needed and towel it dry. For a dusty chain I wet a rag with kerosene and run the chain through it five or so revolutions. When you get an O-ring chain this becomes merely cosmetic. Lubricating an O-ring chain is all about keeping the O-rings in good shape....nothing on the outside of the plates will have any effect on chain wear....mine is still fine at 11,000 miles.

My chain maintenance takes about 3 minutes every 100 miles. Prop up the rear wheel, spin the tire and shoot some DuPont Chain Saver Teflon on the chain, spin it a few more times and you are good. No oil to get all over your rear tire or pant legs....it's great stuff.

Only every 800 miles or so do I do a real careful clean with kerosene, a toothbrush and compressed air, with some cardboard pieces to keep the mess contained. I haven't had my chain off in 9,000 miles with this regimen.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Elime, another question. What oil do you recommend for the chain lube? The TW is my very first motorbike and I'm learning.....apparently the hard way.

Littletommy, I will.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Better learn to do that with your new chain or you will be buying one every 6 months.
    Yes, and thank you.
    littletommy likes this.

Cruising along at that speed for several miles with no maintenance would make it heat up and wear quickly. I would imagine it stretched enough to be able to come off without having any adjustments.

Do check out your sprockets, especially the front one as it turns several times more than the back on. If there is any wear on the rear it will be 4 times worse on the front. If the stock set up works for you with the 14 50, for longer chain life go with a 15 55 and an o ring chain. Your bike will be much happier.

The chain is a pain.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtgirl View Post
    Elime, another question. What oil do you recommend for the chain lube? The TW is my very first motorbike and I'm learning.....apparently the hard way.

Littletommy, I will.
    dirtgirl -- Years ago I learned this lesson the same way you just did. A lot of people on this forum have. Live and learn.

I use 140 wt gear oil. It is messy. It is also to late for your chain. The damage is done. For you, get an o-ring chain and do as Littletommy and RockyTFS say. Good luck.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links