Don't Worry Be Happy w/ iridium plug ?
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Turtle Chaser
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS

Thread: Don't Worry Be Happy w/ iridium plug ?

Cool Don't Worry Be Happy w/ iridium plug ?

I have been running an iridium plug for a couple thousand miles and it looks great ! Nice mocha color, no deposits. My motor is completely stock CA version except I have a bigger main, shimmed needle and adjusted mixture screw. The problem is that while the motor ran very well with the carb tune, the stock NGK plug would never have any color and always looked lean, but clean? So have any of you expert tuners noticed the NGK iridium plug being a bit colder (or something) than the stock plug?
    I wish you all could have problems like this but I just can't stand it when Tdub runs near perfect for no apparent reason, hmmm. Thanks in advance for any help and insight!

Best regards, MAC
    Last edited by Turtle Chaser; 07-22-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

I have no experience with the iridium plug(I am going to use one next change based on feedback) but I do know it is much harder to read plugs these days, depending on the additive mix. Almost always looks leaner than what "old school" plug reading might indicate. In some cases my plugs have looked very white, then I find some non ethanol fuel (I can still get it in MI for my boat) and the plug will look normal.

I've had my Iridium plug in since new, 11,200 miles. It looks about the same now as when new. Never had much success in "reading" it either. It just runs.....and runs......and runs.....
    TWilight likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've used both types of plugs. In my case, both had and showed the same color as the other would. If the standard plug showed normal, so did the iridium. Performance wise I could never tell the difference. No difference in the lifespan that I ever noticed either. I wouldn't hesitate to use either. Both work well.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thank you for the feedback! My '06 has 11,000 miles on it and runs great but the plug was always white which made me uncomfortable. Now all of a sudden it's got the perfect color and the only change was the plug.
    I was planning on side gaping a stock NGK to see if that might give a little boost but for now I'll stick with the iridium since the Tdub seems to like it.
    Thanks again for the tuning expertise.

Best regards, MAC
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links