Another LED Flasher question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another LED Flasher question

Another LED Flasher question

Hi All

DISCLAIMER - I HAVE THE MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL KNOW HOW OF A MOOSE.11705459_10153375088160733_4500426094600556872_o.jpgIMG_2156.JPG

I changed the indicators on my 2015 TW to smaller LED units.

Initially I did just the back ones (along with the stop lamp) and when indicating it would flash faster than normal but still flash.

I then replaced the front ones too and tried them to see what happened with the standard relay.

When indicating, the flashers just go on - no flashing.

1) Is the indicator relay on the right hand side sort of where your knee would go? I replaced this with a special LED relay but still no luck - lights just go on with no flashing.

Do I need more or less resistance on the relay (if the thing I changed is indeed the relay!).

2) The blue wire going to the front flashers that causes them to stay on permanently - can I just isolate that or is it integral to the front flasher's operation? It is not a legal requirement in South Africa to have the front flasher light lit up when no indicating as I believe it is in the USA.

Thanks in advance for any help - before and afters as above.

IMG_2200.JPGIMG_2202.JPG

Round relay the new one, square one the original.

The newer (post 2000) TW’s use a system that involves “position” lights — dual filament indicator bulbs — constantly on. So that “blue wire” is probably confusing the flasher unit — (I have no idea what colour the wire is, but if you’re sure, isolate it). You should probably swap out the dash bulb for an LED while you’re at it — not sure if this would contribute to the cause of your problem, but an LED bulb in there is “belt and braces”.

Try this first and see how you get on ……..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

If you look at this website, under the lighting and electrical section, you will find 3 items. The LED turn signal resister kit, the LED 12 volt turn signal flasher and the LED signal diode kit. I think if you look at these and read the "more info" and "installation" information given on these items, you will find your answer. Hope this helps, keep us posted please.
    troll likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sorry to high jack but I had never heard the term "belt and braces". used before. Learned something new this morning.

Belt and braces

Meaning

Careful - not taking any chances.

Origin

Belts and braces (a.k.a. bracers) are meant to hold one's trousers up. Going 'belt and braces' is a double insurance against having them fall down. The figurative use, as a general term for cautiousness, was coined around the mid-20th century.

In the USA 'belt and suspenders' is used with just the same meaning. That emerged at around the same time too. The first citation in print we have is from the Galveston Daily News, 1935 - in their 'News Behind the News' column:

"A pessimist wears both belt and suspenders."

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

If you look at this website, under the lighting and electrical section, you will find 3 items. The LED turn signal resister kit, the LED 12 volt turn signal flasher and the LED signal diode kit. I think if you look at these and read the "more info" and "installation" information given on these items, you will find your answer. Hope this helps, keep us posted please.
    Thanks very much.

Those resistors - where does one wire them in? I can get resistors from my local electronics shop. I thought that one would need one on each indicator but I see on the kit that there are only two for 4 indicators?

I am not sure. It may be because the front signal lights stay on all the time and the rear ones don't. Did you read this part on the procycle site?

*Unfortunately the TW200 turn signal circuit is wired differently than most other motorcycles.
    You can indeed make everything work you just need to do a little extra wiring. Cap off the wires that come from the motorcycle to the indicator bulb, you will no longer use those two wires.
    You need to run a wire from +12volt side of left front turn signal bulb to one of the Red wires if the diode kit.
    Then you need to run a wire from the +12volt side of the right front turn signal bulb to the other Red wire of the diode kit.
    Then hook the White wire of the diode kit to one wire of the indicator bulb. Then hook the other wire of the indicator bulb to ground.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Wow.

Beyond me.

Auto electrician here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5336 View Post
    Wow.

Beyond me.

Auto electrician here I come!
    Don't do it yet, wait around, someone will come along to help hopefully. Can anyone help this gentleman please?

Tommy - I think those resistors are for use with LED lights and the original flasher unit - with the new flasher unit in place he should be well withing range .......
    Last edited by Purple; 07-27-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links