Kickstand problems.....help!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kickstand problems.....help!

Kickstand problems.....help!

Alright, when I purchased my 1987 TW several years ago the kickstand was broken off. Must of been bad spill or something not sure. I had it welded back on by someone else and apparently it wasn't done very well because it broke off again!! Well I parked it soon after that and hadn't really messed with it or rode it since. Then I found this forum and motivated me to get this baby back up and on the road again. I stripped it down to the bare frame and want to get it powder coated but I would really like to get the kickstand fixed first. Any help on how to do this or ideas in order to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe this has happened to someone else? I've searched the forum but can't find anything. Thanks again!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Tee Dubbs,

My partner spent many years doing auto body and fabricating work. He took a look at these pictures and this is what he had to say. Hope you don't mind me passing it along.

In the pictures, the damage appears to him more extensive than just a kickstand attachment problem.

The damage he sees would require skilled welding/fabricating to properly repair. For the cost you might end up paying someone to do it (if you find someone whose work you can trust), it might actually be cheaper to 1.) Find a donor frame with that particular section in good condition and cut out the weak/bad on your frame and replace with the donor section. 2.) Replace the frame entirely with a good frame.

You would have to look around at prices of each option to find out which one would actually be cheapest and give the safest result.

The corrosion seems extreme and a bit inexplicable, but whatever caused it may have been the reason the kickstand failed in the first place.

Hope that is at all helpful.

Any good fabricator should be able to make that right. However you are probably looking at at least 2 - 4 hours labor and for a guy that will actually do it right and not hack it up again and that guy will probably cost you ~ $100 / hour. Plus you have to have some way of showing the guy the exact angle you want the mount when it is done.

Or you could probably get most any small weld shop to scab something up "good enough" for a fraction of that.
    Last edited by Welder; 07-27-2015 at 08:51 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

my basket case TW is bad too:

i'm going to have trouble finding another frame too.....

Ok, I'll have to look around the local shops and see if I can find a someone. Does anyone have a close up photo of how that part of the frame and kickstand are suppose to look? I will also see if I can get lucky with another frame. Thanks for the input guys!! Hopefully this won't be to big of a bump in the road for me.

Oh badcat looks like were in the same boat. You still riding it around?

If you go the route of a different frame, see if there is a motorcycle salvage yard. There are several good frames in my local salvage yard (rest of the TW sucks), but I'm sure it ain't worth the cost to buy it and get it shipped to NM.

Good luck and glad you found the site and want to get this 87 up & runn'in!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Here is a pic that I just happened to have. I have several frames. If you need more detail or different angles, let me know.

100_4902.JPG

Good idea thanks admiral.

That will work thanks TW-Brian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links