Fuel economy in relation to jetting and gearing?
Close

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Supergoose
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By Supergoose

Thread: Fuel economy in relation to jetting and gearing?

Fuel economy in relation to jetting and gearing?

Okay, I've fixed my misfiring problem but now I seem to have another question I can't figure out on my own.

My new 2014 was running way too lean when I bought it. It backfired like crazy whenever I would decelerate. I rejetted the carb after a few weeks of that and the backfiring completely disappeared. The bike's been running great ever since except for a misfiring situation which seems to have been attributable to clogged jets. Seafoam fixed that situation.

My question today is about fuel economy. Ever since the bike was new (9 months ago) I get about 65-67 miles at average rural highway speeds before I have to switch over to reserve and then, at the nearest gas station, it will take about 1.25-1.28 gallons to fill up. That works out to about 50-53 mpg. That's a hell of a lot better than my Grand Cherokee and I've been pretty pleased with it until I started reading what kind of economy others here are getting.

Yamaha advertises 78 mpg, I think? And I've seen other members' anecdotal evidence that indicated up to 100 mpg is possible. I've attributed my frequent fill-ups on long trips to the tiny gas tank and was investigating a larger tank when I discovered that many others are going over 100 miles between fill-ups. This is a big discrepancy.

My bike does still have the factory sprockets, so it's geared pretty low and I run on average around 45-55 mph on my daily commute. I'm just wondering if anyone here thinks that I should be getting better fuel economy as-is or should I look into regearing the bike or is something terribly wrong?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

On my stock 2013 around 89-96 miles I would switch to reserve go to gas station and it would take 1.1-1.4 gallons I once went 103 miles and it took 1.3 gallons.
    With Procycle jet kit , +1 tooth front sprocket, and unifilter I now hit the reserve between 86 - 92 miles and still takes 1.1 - 1.4. So the change was minor in fuel mileage but runs and starts much better.
    2015 CSC RX3, TW200 2013 (for sale), 2011 Ural Gobi, 1995 GL1500SE (for sale)

Nothing is wrong at this point besides a little less mileage because of the carb adjustments and jetting. New TW's will get better and better mileage as you rack up the miles and the rings get seated in. Mine continued to get a little better mileage all the way up to 2,000 plus miles. I now have 3,500 or so miles on it and with my adjustments and different jetting, I now get 60 or so miles a gallon.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

From your handle, you might be riding it harder than some riders getting better mileage "Super Goose".

My stock 15s during the first few break in tanks were going about 100 miles before reserve. I haven't paid attention since, but I have rejetted and am riding them a lot harder now.

Bluff, your mileage is not that far off. So many variables can go into fuel mileage. For example, I could ride the exact same speed, but get better mpg because I live in a different part of the country with different atmospheric conditions & weather conditions, not to mention rider inputs.

Lengthy part.

The last 2 weeks I've been testing different rear sprockets on my 2015 TW. (BTW, mine backfires a little like yours did, but from your description, mines not as bad).

Anyway, with the stock 14/50 gear on my commute of 80 miles round trip at mostly speeds of 55-60 and some city sections with 35 mph. I averaged between 53-56, so only slightly better mpg than yours. Morning Temps were usually around 60-65, afternoon temps 90-95, and altitude around 2,500 ft. I would say I'm a little heavy on the throttle on takeoffs and shifting rpm's are up there, so this would affect mpg downward a little.

Then I switched to a 14/45 gear ratio. With all other variables about the same, my mpg increased to average 60-63 mpg. Lower rpm's = better mpg. With the 14/45 gear ration, I did have lower mpg, but was going much faster, 60-65 in those cases. I also did some forest service/BLM road riding, 20-35 mph which increased my mpg all the way up to 80.

You don't state which way you went with jetting, but I'm guessing a slightly larger jet. This would increase fuel. One would think this could affect an mpg increase to some degree. I think the TW is very sensitive to variable affecting mpg (speed, rider inputs, rider weight etc...).

Keep testing and trying different techniques, speeds, gearing, routes, and see if those change your mpg.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Okay! Thanks guys!

Looks like I was upset about nothing. Yes, I did go with a bit larger jet since I do most of my riding at or slightly above sea level. I bought a "calibrated" kit with jets and shims, etc., for my altitude. And yes, I do tend to use the full range of power available from an engine. I don't really enjoy having my blood churned into butter from engine vibrations but I'm not afraid to run the engine at >8000 rpm for extended periods if traffic conditions call for it.

Worst of all, I have a confession to make. I know that you will all think I'm an idiot but I cannot tell a lie... Ever since the beginning of the really warm weather, I haven't had to choke the carb to get the bike started in the morning. As a result, I haven't touched the choke in I don't know how long (months, maybe?). So, I'm sure you can all see where this is going. The simplest thing in the world to fix is one thing that was wrong!

I was mowing this afternoon and thinking about this situation and I started having a sneaking suspicion that maybe, just maybe, the choke could be contributing to all the problems I have been having. Sure enough, when I got back to the barn, I went right to the bike and checked the choke.

It was pulled out to the first notch and I haven't any idea how long it's been like that.

I am truly a nitwit.

Nitwit, naw...but, if you wouldn't have brought this up in the forum and we discussed it with you, you may not have thought about the choke. Sometimes talking things out sparks a thought. Sounds like it worked for you in this case and that's a good thing.

May your day and fuel mileage be great!
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Like others have said I think there are a lot of variables that go into what kind of mpg you get. I ride around the city going 25-45 and I average almost 90mpg. I'm pretty light on the throttle and usually shift early. I also only weight 145lbs so I'm sure that helps too. I recently did a 1300+ mile trip with a lot of gear and speeds from 50-60 and I average 77mpg.
    -Mario

Thanks Guys! This place is the best! I'm on some other (motorcycle and other) forums where people aren't always so helpful. I really believe the TDub brings out the best in folks. I've seen it criticized as the motorcycle equivalent of a clown car but it's one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned. Even puts a big smile on my face whenever I see someone else riding one.

I think I might have to change my handle from "Supergoose" to "PermaChoke"!
    littletommy, Gulfrider and WECSOG like this.

I agree, this really is a great forum bro. All of us here try to be real helpful and have made it into what it is today. We have had our share of buttheads, but they generally can't stand it around here for long!! Everyone is too nice!!

I smile every time I ride my TW.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links