New X-ring chain to install tomorrow. Regular master link or?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: New X-ring chain to install tomorrow. Regular master link or?

New X-ring chain to install tomorrow. Regular master link or?

My local sport bike mechanic says don't use regular master link because they are dangerous? Any comments on this? I really don't like riveted chains because in the mountains or anywhere away from the garage with chain problems, it is a long hike. Master links (carry an extra in the kit) can be replaced. I did 15 years of enduros with regular old master links but finding chains with them now is getting difficult. I had to special order the one I will install tomorrow. Of course the real cure is never ride alone...
    TWilight likes this.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

He may have mentioned this because not all master links are the same size when dealing with standard chains and O or X-Ring chains. I forget which way it goes, but one will fit one chain but not the other. So it's recommended to always get one according to what kind of chain you have. Standard or Ringed. Hope that helps.

No need to rivet it either, it's a low power bike. Failures are uncommon.
    VintageGW likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I would agree with your local sport bike mechanic for "sport bikes" which have well over 100+ horsepower and are capable of well over 130mph ! Not so much for our little trail bikes with only 13 horsepower !

Regular old clip type master links should be fine for our TW's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VintageGW View Post
    My local sport bike mechanic says don't use regular master link because they are dangerous? ...
    The master links that come with the X-ring chains are definitely not the same as a regular link, they are meatier. I suppose there is a danger after many thousands of miles because the regular master link will wear much faster and eventually become the weak point in the chain. However, because of the difficulty in getting a spare X-ring master link onto the chain out in the field, some of us carry a regular master links to use temporarily in an emergency; it's much, much easier to get on. If I had a bike (with a chain ) that could go 150 mph, I'd agree with your mechanic, but not for the TW.

O or X-ring chain failures are VERY uncommon with a TW, unless you hit a BIG sharp rock at speed....

As far as I know, there is no difficulty finding 428 chains of any style with master links, it's the bigger ones that are often riveted. I got my D.I.D. 428VX from Rocky Mtn. ATV
    TWilight likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

"regular" master link?
    Non- X or O-ring master links are a little narrower I thought.
    X, and O-ring chains, and their master links, should have longer pins to accommodate the compressed thickness of the o-rings. Perhaps this is the item of concern expressed by the mechanic,i.e. he was possibly concerned OP might try to use a standard master link which would not have pins long enough to secure the clip in an x-ring application? I have also heard that different manufactures of the 428 chains use different pin diameters, thus the need for the appropriate master link. ( check your spare before heading out if you had only assumed it would fit).
    How the heck would you rivet a chain around the swing arm of a TW anyways? I suppose you could remove the swing-arm if one acquired an already riveted chain, but why? Cut that sucker and install the appropriate master link.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-31-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

"How the heck would you rivet a chain around the swing arm of a TW anyways?"

No problem, use a hammer and punch on one side and a big hunk of steel on the other .
    TWilight likes this.

So Brian, would your new trailer rim/TW hub set-up qualify as a "big hunk of steel"?
    I gotta see that contraption when completed. Thinking about you going tubeless gets me as excited as a guy thinking about his girlfriend going topless.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Hahaha, the big hunk of steel that I use is a short section of railroad rail that also serves as an anvil and other assorted uses.

X-ring master link of the old style (regular to me) makes so much more sense. I do have a device for installing on the trail. Fits easily in my tool roll. I think the consensus is in. Good points all. Thanks gents.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

Isn't the railroad gonna wonder why all their rail road track keeps dissapearing? Brian, you and I gotta stop before they send the Pinkertons after us.image.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 07-31-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links