TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Brake lever snapped

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  old white truck 
#1 ·
Hello.

I dropped the bike this morning (completely stopped at the time....don't ask) and the brake lever snapped in two. The local dealership has a replacement part. How difficult is it to replace for a complete newbie? I'm totally ignorant, but fairly bright and willing to learn.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

It really is a simple job, especially if your bike is a 2001 or newer and has a front disc brake.

Everybody has dropped a bike at some point in time, so don't feel bad. Handguards, sometimes referred to as barkbusters, are a good way to protect your hands and also prevent broken levers.

If you get stuck during the install, just come back and ask.

Brian

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum!! Look at how fast the good folks here come to your rescue!! This is a good place!! Hope to see you become a regular!! :D I broke a lever too, only it was the clutch one.

#7 ·
I think the brake levers are designed to break saving the more expensive parts.

Some people drill a small hole in the lever making a weak spot and hopefully guaranteeing it will break at that spot but leaving enough lever to continue on. I don't do it, I have only heard about it but it makes sense.

With some JB Weld or Marine Tech, a fired .30-'06 cartridge, a hack saw and a file, maybe a hammer and pliers too, you can fix broken levers. There is a "how to" some where on the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.