Radial marks on flywheel.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Radial marks on flywheel.

Radial marks on flywheel.

I'm checking my valve clearence. When the 3 radial marks / lines are visible through the inspection hole I presume the engine is at TDC?. If this correct, both intake and exhaust valves can be checked at this point without any further rotation of crankshaft?.

I use the third line. Just for fun, I once checked exhaust clearance with the center mark and with the right mark. There was no difference. The valves stay fully closed (where they have to be to check clearance) for more of the crank rotation than is shown by those three marks. It is CAM chain timing that is much more sensitive.

Make sure you are close to TDC on the compression stroke by putting your finger over the spark plug hole and start looking for the marks when you feel pressure building. Also, always re-check clearance after you fully torque the lock nut.

EDIT:

Sorry, I should be more precise: Both VALVES may stay closed longer than the radial marks indicate, but the CLEARANCE varies from zero to whatever the maximum clearance is before adjustment (which is at TDC). So as you rotate the crank, clearance goes from zero to a certain value and back to zero. I've never actually checked at what point before, during, and after the radial marks this happens. I only checked the exhaust valve clearance at both the middle and the right mark and found no difference.

In earlier engines the right hand mark is a T.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 08-08-2015 at 04:21 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

For a exact valve clearance measurement you have to use the marking on the cam shaft sprocket.

The marking like a wide "H" is for the ignition. The single "|" marking is TDC.

If there is a difference (one teeth or more) between the marking on the flywheel and the cam shaft sprocket, than it could be that you have to change timing chain.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by macbig2k1 View Post
    For a exact valve clearance measurement you have to use the marking on the cam shaft sprocket.

The marking like a wide "H" is for the ignition. The single "|" marking is TDC.

If there is a difference (one teeth or more) between the marking on the flywheel and the cam shaft sprocket, than it could be that you have to change timing chain.
    Agreed!!!!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Well , I finished and took it out for a 20 mile test ride.
    Seemed to run smoother?. I did use the middle of the three lines......I believe the service manual (which isn't the greatest IMO) advised to use the middle mark / line......I may have misread the text however?.
    I will be purchasing the "special" tool in the future though......the deck screw method did work , but.....
    Thank you for all responses......keep them coming , I like all the imputed I can get.

It really is the mark on the right brother Frog.
    Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Well , I suppose I'll go back in.....at some point and redo my error. I'll refrain from riding it until then....doh. Thanks again. FYI , my TW200 only has 2800ish miles on the clock......so far.
    Last edited by frog13; 08-08-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    littletommy likes this.

Thanks bro's for setting me straight. Hate to have something happen to the little dude......thanks again.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    ...... I'll refrain from riding it until then....doh. ....
    I really don't think you need to do that...... it runs fine, so ride it! Maybe check the clearance again in 2,000 miles instead of 4,000 and use the right line next time. Re-read my previous post about not being able to tell the difference in thousandths of clearance between the center or the right mark. Jeez, one can get a reading a thousandth different just by the technique used and/or your feel of the drag on the feeler.
    boznarras likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Yes , I read your previous post. I'm not an experienced "wrench" , so to speak. I am a bit querky when it comes to specs though. If I believe the "correct" procedure wasn't followed I'll be paranoid , won't sleep well and the like. ....lol. Surely folks undetstand. I refuse to "drive myself crazy" however, another look-see won't hurt and perhaps improve my confidence. Keep the comments coming fellow riders.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links