My Neutral light only comes on if I pull outwards on shifter shaft?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My Neutral light only comes on if I pull outwards on shifter shaft?

My Neutral light only comes on if I pull outwards on shifter shaft?

Any ideas why my Neutral light only comes on if I pull outwards on shifter shaft? That's the only way the bike will start...This is 1989 tdub with 3,600 miles

Also when I can get the Neutral light to stay on....if I pull in the clutch while in N the neutral light goes out until I let go of the clutch lever....

My wife misses riding and I've been trying my hardest,but I'm missing something

Thanks for any help
    2013 TW200 Ims super stock pegs,zeta pro bend xc hand-guards,manrack,zeta muffs,Gerbing ultra light heated gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Holdnon72 View Post
    Any ideas why my Neutral light only comes on if I pull outwards on shifter shaft? That's the only way the bike will start...This is 1989 tdub with 3,600 miles

Also when I can get the Neutral light to stay on....if I pull in the clutch while in N the neutral light goes out until I let go of the clutch lever....

My wife misses riding and I've been trying my hardest,but I'm missing something

Thanks for any help
    I have to start from scratch, but today I'll do some service manual reading and looking at my TW's to try and help out. Most what was mentioned here I thought were good possibilities of the problem. One of your questions in another thread, if the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) should be replaced with the transmission in neutral, makes sense to me, but got me thinking. Now it's a quest. When we figure this out it's probably gonna be something so small and minor.
    VintageGW likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

It's a short somewhere.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What he said ^^^^

Wriggling a mechanical part to make an electrical connection implies that it’s an electrical fault.

Work out where wriggling that mechanical part will affect the wiring

Start with the most accessible places first, checking continuity as you go along, whilst duplicating that “wriggle”

The clutch lever episode is likely to be a completely different fault — sounds like something’s wired up backwards ………..

It’s not as complicated as it sounds — all you need to do is to identify which two or three wires you’re after — make sure they are connected up properly — and that you don’t have a dud connection or a break in the wire.

Clear your brain — take your time — “think it through” ……..
    VintageGW, admiral and littletommy like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Today we were successfully in by-passing the Neutral sensor....under the seat i found where the barrel connection is for the wire that runs to the neutral sensor. It starts out as being sky blue then barrel connector turns it into blue. I grounded the sky blue part of it to the frame and bike is good to go!
    Of course the N light is always on now,but I'm just gonna install a blown bulb in its place. The wife is off riding now

At least this tells me that the problem is somewhere between the neutral sensor switch and where that barrel connector turns sky blue

I truly believe I received a bad neutral sensor rite out of the package or installing it while bike was in first gear damaged it
    Last edited by Holdnon72; 08-09-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    Purple likes this.
    2013 TW200 Ims super stock pegs,zeta pro bend xc hand-guards,manrack,zeta muffs,Gerbing ultra light heated gloves

Hoo-ray!!!! Dogged persistence pays off.

Today we were successfully in by-passing the Neutral sensor....under the seat i found where the barrel connection is for the wire that runs to the neutral sensor. It starts out as being sky blue then barrel connector turns it into blue. I grounded the sky blue part of it to the frame and bike is good to go!
    Of course the N light is always on now,but I'm just gonna install a blown bulb in its place. The wife is off riding now

At least this tells me that the problem is somewhere between the neutral sensor switch and where that barrel connector turns sky blue

I truly believe I received a bad neutral sensor rite out of the package or installing it while bike was in first gear damaged it
    If I remember right, TWiLight help Louisiana Danny down at Moab on this very thing. I'm not sure of exactly what they did or if L. Danny later fixed the issued, but he was able to ride with us the entire time so it worked. Glad you found "a" solution.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I just told her to make sure she always has the clutch in when she starts it to be safe...

I just told her to make sure she always has the clutch in when she starts it to be safe...
    Just like any stick-shift! But for what its worth, the sky blue is the negative side, and the brown the hot in this case. If you ground with the neutral switch, it completes the circuit. So if you ground the sky blue, which has a brown also, it lights the bulb. But also, the cut-out relay has a diode in it, which lets the current flow only one way. If this goes out slowly, the neutral light will slowly get brighter in any gear.

Dell... How do i ground with the sensor? I dont want to remove the side cover again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links