New TW200 has 80 miles on it and no oil?!?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New TW200 has 80 miles on it and no oil?!?

New TW200 has 80 miles on it and no oil?!?

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the TW200 and new to motorcycles in general but I'm really excited to get into it and start learning. I live on Oahu so I'm mostly gonna use it for cruising on the perimeter trails around Kahuku and on the streets in the North Shore. I just bought a 2014 from the dealer with 0 miles on it. I read through the owners manual a few times cover to cover and then I took it for a few rides this weekend. Ive been checking the oil level before and after every ride. It might have gone down a little after the first couple (been kinda excited about it so taking it out a couple times a day) but after i brought it back home tonight the oil level looks completely empty.

Did i do something wrong? was i supposed to change oil sooner? manual says change after 600 mi. Also, there's no oil spilling out of the engine anywhere, is it possible it could burn that much when its new? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thank yoU!!

Welcome to the forum!!

Gas mileage and oil consumption will suffer a little until the engine gets broken in. This can take up to 2000 miles before you notice everything stabilizing. Keep close watch on the oil just as you are doing. You should not wait until the 600 mile check to change the oil. Do it early and often throughout your break in period. You will extend the life of your bike tremendously if you do. For instance: Oil change at 50 miles, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000. Since it only holds a little over a quart and oil is cheap, this is a great way to get a lot of mileage out of your bike. Your bike will love you for it. And again, Welcome!!
    VintageGW likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

rbm
    Are you holding the bike upright when you're looking at the oil level? You won't see much if any in the sight glass if it's on the kickstand.
    littletommy, dabsdog and jbfla like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

ok thanks for the info littletommy and RBM. I'll make sure to change the oil out now anyway cause I definitely want my engine to last as long as possible. And I'll check it again tomorrow morning, with the bike standing up right, because I was checking it while it was on the kick stand.

Thanks!
    littletommy and Hoot Gibson like this.

To add to what rbm has mentioned, if you have it leaned to far over (to the right), the oil might fill up the whole sight glass making you think there's nothing in there. Also with new oil, it can be harder to see the level. You may try leaning the TW slowly left and right to make sure you see the oil. Once you got that, then you can check it with the TW straight up & down.

Without any obvious leaks on the outside of the engine, and sounds like you've been checking it ok, I think you got it.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Warm it up for 7 minutes...shut it off...use some wood scraps under kick stand to make it level. Wait 3 minutes ,then check your oil level through the sight window with bike level handle bars straight. Make sure oil level is in between both marks
    2013 TW200 Ims super stock pegs,zeta pro bend xc hand-guards,manrack,zeta muffs,Gerbing ultra light heated gloves

Welcome 808. You'll get it , hang in there.

Welcome 808tdub. As others have mentioned you possibly mis-read oil level and things should be OK. You can always hold the bike nice and vertical to check oil level by leaning handlebar up against a convenient palm tree. Wish I had a convenient palm tree. Aloha.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks everyone for the info and for welcoming me! Ill try that palm tree thing, haha. I'm off work in a few hours so ill shoot out a quick update on it when I get home. Thanks

When changing the oil please know that the wet clutches of motorcycles benefit from the correct oil which contains special additives for the clutch plates. It has been said to run petroleum based motorcycle oil for the break-in period, then change to a full synthetic afterwards..something like Mobil 4T. Why? The scuttlebutt is that full synthetics are so slippery they inhibit the scuffing/seating in of new rings in the cylinder thus delaying a proper breaking-in. Mobil4t, or it's equivalent, often improve clutch and shifting feel as an added benefit.

Do you have a service manual? If not someone can post a link for a free downloadable PDF version just full of helpful how-to instructions for the proper care and feeding of your new machine.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links