Am I running lean?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Am I running lean?

Am I running lean?

Pulled the plug and here it is -> What do you folks think? Have not checked the mixture screw position yet. I live at 1753 metres (6,000 feet) above sea level - apparently
    20150815_120733.jpg20150815_120745.jpg20150815_120805.jpg20150815_120824.jpg

Thanks

If I looked at only the first pic I'd say it was normal.....if I looked at only the last pic I'd say it was too lean. I'll bet you used flash......therefore I can't tell anything about your plug color. Idle mix screw (pilot jet screw) will only affect your plug color after extended idling. The only way to get a good check of plug color (and main jet suitability) is to get up to 60 or more with wide open throttle for at least 2 minutes, pull in the clutch, kill the engine and brake to a stop. THEN look at the plug. Maybe you did that but you did not say.

If you have a post 2001 stock TW with NO carb work, I can tell you unequivocally that your main jet is not too lean...with a 126 jet at 6,000 feet that would be impossible. You would have to have about a 118 jet in there for it to be too lean at that altitude.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

It looks OK to me. If it is running well I wouldn't touch a thing.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    It looks OK to me. If it is running well I wouldn't touch a thing.
    +1, looks just fine.

We need to know if it was just taken out and looked at, or if it was, as Rocky mentioned, done during mid to high RPM's to be more accurate.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Oh good, maybe we can get into a big pissing war about how to best read a plug.LiveLeak.com - "You're lucky there's a fence here or I would tear you apart."
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hi guys, Thanks for all the feedback.

I took another look at it this evening, and despite the flash in the photos, the images are actually fairly on the money, at least to my humanoid eyes.

To answer some questions... I took the plug out after the bike had been standing for at least a week (depressing I know). I had no idea the plug might 'change' appearance depending on where you are on the 'power band'.

The bike seems to run fine to me. Again, I'm a novice here but the throttle response seems ok once she's warm. No flat spots that I can really notice.

The bike used to live at the coast before I got her. No idea if anyone has ever been inside the carb. I would like to clean it one day when I have the time.

So for now I think I'll wait a bit and see. Put in a brand new plug this evening. Kind of hoping to pull it out in a while and see the nice 'holy grail' tan colour that everywhere is recommended

Thanks again.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Well, don't put too much reliance on a plug reading, because that will only tell you if you are really rich or really lean. If the bike has good throttle response and top end speed, you are fine. If it tends to miss a little on a long gentle climb in 5th it might be a little rich. If it's really lean, you will have all sorts of other issues like hard starting, poor idle, stalling, no top end speed, etc.

Most likely, coming from sea level, it either has the standard 126 or was re-jetted to 130, in which case it will start to get really rich by 7 to 8,000, whereas a 126 will run fine up to 9,000.....mine does. I only go to a 122 above 10,000, which is rare. (2001 onward carbs) It's actually pretty easy to check the jet size without removing it. Replace the JIS screws with SS Allen bolts while you have the float bowl off.....all future jet changes will be much easier.

No need to pull the carb, just loosen the rubber intake bands, rotate the carb to the right about 25 degrees and take the screws out, look at the jet with a magnifying glass and note the number. DO NOT USE A REGULAR PHILLIPS DRIVER! Be careful not to dislodge the gasket, it should stay on the bowl.

If you don't want to buy a set of JIS drivers go to a shop and have them just start the screws (make sure they have JIS drivers first!)...... once broken loose you can use a Phillips without buggering them, then put the Allens in on re-assembly. Or just pay them to pull the float bowl off and record the number of the main jet and replace using the Allen's you hand them.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 08-16-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    Fred likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

If my plug looked like that and my bike ran well and I lived at 6,000 feet, I would be a happy camper!

best regards, MAC
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

The answer to your question, Am I running too lean, IMO is NO! Maybe just a tad on the rich side, Dark, if I am seeing correct but I would not change anything as long as the bike is running fine.

I don't know anything about being a mile above sea level so I must pass to those who do but your plug looks OK to me. I just pulled my plug yesterday. Bike has 155 miles on it and I do have a flat spot in the throttle response. I did it the way Rocky suggests and coasted into the garage. My plug is way too light to almost still white so I will turn the pilot screw out another 1/4 turn and do the checks until I see toast color and hope the flat spots disappear.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links