Bike won't start because I am an idiot. left the bike - a
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bike won't start because I am an idiot. left the bike - a

The first step is admitting it. I am an idiot. I left the bike - a 2010 TW200 - out all winter. In New England. This winter. It was buried almost completely at one point.

I dug it out and started it once over the winter. Once the snow was finally gone I tried starting it. It turned over but did not start.

So far I have:

- changed spark plug and checked for spark. It has spark

- checked for gas flow from tank to carb and from carb drain. Gas flowed.

- drained old gas from tank and carb and filled with new gas

- checked airbox. No mice.

- charged battery. Still didn't help. Turns over but never catches.

- replaced battery with new charged, sealed AGM Yuasa. Still turns, still doesn't start.

- did the lazy mans carb clean.

Now this is where it got interesting. To me at least. Before I decided to clean the carb I poured a some gas into the cap from a quart of oil and poured that into the cylinder. Plug back in, hit starter and she's running. Throttle a little, it runs then dies. Makes me think the gas was flowing to the carb but not to the cylinder. SO, lazy mans carb clean. Once it was all back together I tried and it started up again! Ran a few seconds then died. I'm guessing the cleaning solvent I used was what was burning, or enough gas got in at first then got clogged.

This all sounds like a dirty carb to me. Except it sounds lie the starter is dragging when the starter button is released. Would it be possible for the starter to stay engaged and cause the engine to stall, then disengage?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'd like to ride before April 1 ( cuz if you aren't on the road by 4/1 you're a pussy ).

THX

JG
    2010, Happy Trails rack & side boxes, Ricochet skid plate, Clarke tank, Stearns seat cover, rejetted, Shinko 244 front tire.

New England Denizens of Doom # TW200

Try to understand things. Be nice to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaff View Post
    ... Makes me think the gas was flowing to the carb but not to the cylinder. ...
    I agree. You have spark, air, and fuel... when you pour it in.

It may be time to do more than the lazy carb cleaning. The lazy cleaning should clean the tiny holes in the main and pilot jets, but may not clean the interconnecting passageways.

Time to take a dip:

Several different ways:

The Yamalube product (from your Yamaha dealer):

The Pinesol bath :

or an ultrasonic cleaner with a cap of Dawn dish washing detergent:

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Maybe the bike just wants to see you kick yourself int he ass for leaving out all winter.....

Try that and see what happens.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Done that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    Maybe the bike just wants to see you kick yourself int he ass for leaving out all winter.....

Try that and see what happens.

Bag
    2010, Happy Trails rack & side boxes, Ricochet skid plate, Clarke tank, Stearns seat cover, rejetted, Shinko 244 front tire.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Stupid question, but here goes anyway - you are using the choke right, or did you forget that?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    ... - you are using the choke right, or did you forget that?
    Good point, mrlmd. The choke on the Teikei carb isn't like a traditional butterfly choke.

It opens an additional fuel passage to the engine. So even if the pilot and main jet are clogged, fuel is still supplied to the engine.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Yah, I've tried all positions of the choke knob - in, half way out, fully out. It catches briefly when the choke knob is fully out. I'm going to take the carb off and clean it out over the weekend.

THX

JG

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    Good point, mrlmd. The choke on the Teikei carb isn't like a traditional butterfly choke.

It opens an additional fuel passage to the engine. So even if the pilot and main jet are clogged, fuel is still supplied to the engine.

jb

Hey, I applaude you for taking some ribbing in good form, I hate it when I've done something like that.

It really seems to me that it's time to tear into that carb and get her all polished up.

I wish you success!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

No worries. If you're an idiot, you're an idiot. No use denying it. I was an idiot.

I took off and cleaned out the carb, blew out all the jets and passageways. I got it all buttoned up and started it.

It will run but only with the choke fully out. Any other position it stalls. It will also stall when given any amount of throttle. I played with the idle screw. It stalls when raising the idle, runs when it it lowered.

Do I need to clean the carb AGAIN?!? It is possible I reassembled and missed something but all seemed to go together. No parts left out. Tiny spring above the main jet in place.

I may have put the white basket ( part # "5LB-14936-00, SEAT, SPRING" on the fiche page B10 ) above the spring on upside down. The picture has it dome up, rim down. I have it wit the dome down, the rim up. Is this correct? Mine also has teeth on it that aren't shown in the parts drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    Hey, I applaude you for taking some ribbing in good form, I hate it when I've done something like that.

It really seems to me that it's time to tear into that carb and get her all polished up.

I wish you success!

Bag

Quote Originally Posted by jgaff View Post
    No worries. If you're an idiot, you're an idiot. No use denying it. I was an idiot.

I took off and cleaned out the carb, blew out all the jets and passageways. I got it all buttoned up and started it.

It will run but only with the choke fully out. Any other position it stalls. It will also stall when given any amount of throttle. I played with the idle screw. It stalls when raising the idle, runs when it it lowered.

Do I need to clean the carb AGAIN?!? It is possible I reassembled and missed something but all seemed to go together. No parts left out. Tiny spring above the main jet in place.

I may have put the white basket ( part # "5LB-14936-00, SEAT, SPRING" on the fiche page B10 ) above the spring on upside down. The picture has it dome up, rim down. I have it wit the dome down, the rim up. Is this correct? Mine also has teeth on it that aren't shown in the parts drawing.

First, put the crab together right. Then let us know. While you have it apart this time verify every passage is clear. Some are very small and easy to miss.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links