Is this a factory oil filter?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Is this a factory oil filter?

Is this a factory oil filter?

IMG_5540.JPGIMG_5541.JPG
    Does any one know if this is a OEM filter? It is fine metal screen, maybe brass. It was in my '06 when I got it with a couple thousand miles on it.
    I've been cleaning it every thousand miles or so when I change oil. Have 11,000+ miles on it and filter is still solid. The filters I've seen pictured on the forum
    aren't pleated. Just wondering what I've got?
    Thanks and God bless.....

MAC
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Chaser View Post
    IMG_5540.JPGIMG_5541.JPG
    Does any one know if this is a OEM filter? It is fine metal screen, maybe brass. It was in my '06 when I got it with a couple thousand miles on it.
    I've been cleaning it every thousand miles or so when I change oil. Have 11,000+ miles on it and filter is still solid. The filters I've seen pictured on the forum
    aren't pleated. Just wondering what I've got?
    Thanks and God bless.....

MAC
    Yes that is the factory installed filter that came on my 2013.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Thanks for the good intel. I should probably get one for a backup.

God Bless

MAC
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Yes that is the factory installed filter that came on my 2013.

Tom
    Strangely enough, my 2013 had the non-pleated. Replaced it with the pleated type at first oil change. The pleated has to be better, more filter surface area.
    TWilight likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    MAC, the one that you have seen in some pictures....brass...but NOT pleated...is also a factory installed oil filter. That is what I took OUT of my 2014 TW today...a non-pleated brass filter.
    My 2014 had a factory pleated one. Maybe they just got a bargain deal on some cheap non-pleated?
    The first replacement filter I bought (pleated)...my dog ate!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

I hope this isn't too much of a hijack of the thread...but...
    How often should the filter be changed out? I mean, I've been throwing them away whenever I change the oil. If I can reuse them, it would be great.
    Do I just clean it from the inside out with carb cleaner?
    How do I know when it's "used up?"

The last "stock" filter I purchased was pleated brass (Yamaha 5H0-13440-09).

WIX also sells a pleated brass filter (57934) and it includes a new o-ring. And, yes it has 4 holes in the inlet end.

I guess I just like to buy oil filters because a brass filter should last forever if it doesn't rip.

Caution: Some non- "4 hole" filters have been sold by dealers. It can kill a TW motor. How a dealer can let that happen amazes me.
    Turtle Chaser likes this.

Apparently both of my TW's (2005 & 2015) have the "garbage" filter. Both are the non-pleated brass screen filters.

Looks like both have been used as OEM!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post

Caution: Some non- "4 hole" filters have been sold by dealers. It can kill a TW motor. How a dealer can let that happen amazes me.
    Amazing isn't it! I've heard that 50% of dealers graduated in the bottom half of their "dealership" classes! Some dealers are good, it just seems like most we have around here are real bone heads!
    Last edited by scotti158; 08-30-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by Moabman View Post
    I hope this isn't too much of a hijack of the thread...but...
    How often should the filter be changed out? I mean, I've been throwing them away whenever I change the oil. If I can reuse them, it would be great.
    Do I just clean it from the inside out with carb cleaner?
    How do I know when it's "used up?"

Apparently mine has over 11k on it and is still going strong. As fishguy mentioned a rip or even the tiniest hole would be unacceptable. Also if it seems crushed in any way I would replace it. The pleated design seems structurally stronger as well as having a much greater filtering area. I always blow mine out from the inside with WD40 or contact cleaner. I ran out of both and used the last of a can of ether that was on the shelf. Had to take a short break after that. I think carb cleaner would be excessive and is hazardous to your heath. A couple of my pleats are slightly bent but the filter is not compromised as far as i can see. If it aint broke.............

God Bless

MAC

P.S. fishguy, thanks for the parts numbers!!!!!!
    Last edited by Turtle Chaser; 08-30-2015 at 02:54 PM.
    Moabman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links