Sputtering at low throttle
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jiveabillion
  • 1 Post By Dryden-Tdub

Thread: Sputtering at low throttle

Sputtering at low throttle

I just bought a 2008 TW200 yesterday. It only had 728 miles on it. Today, my friend rode it all day with me on my WR250R and she didn't have any problems with it. After I took her home, I rode it at about 40-55 mph for about 15 miles to Applebee's, where my brother works. I had a burger there and then left on the bike to ride it back to my friends house. I had do ride it flat out for about a mile because I had to cross the river on the interstate, and then rode it about 4 more miles to a gas station. That's when I noticed that it had started sputtering and low throttle, and then smoothing out to run fine (before I put gas in it). I thought it would go away, but it hasn't. I've stopped it, started it and ridden it a few miles and it still sputters at low throttle.

What could it be and how can I fix it?

Since you ran it that low on gas, it could have some crap gas still in it. If after a few more rides it's still doing it, then I suppose it could be gunk in the carburetor... though it sounds more like it's fat on the bottom. Still, if there's something in the pilot jet, that could cause that issue too.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

I actually kept it filled up all day. I put the same 93 octane gas I put in my WR250R in it. Whe. I last fills it up, I only put about 1 gallon in it. I can still ride it the way it is, I'm just concerned that it needs to be fixed. I'm planning to change the oil and filter, since I don't know if the previous owner did the 600 mile change or not. The bike is pretty old to have so few miles on it. I'm close to hitting as many miles one WRR, and I've only had it about 3 weeks.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hmm. Let's see what the others have to say. I'm inclined to say crap got into your carburetor. It's a simple enough fix if you're at all mechanical, but I'd rather get others' input first.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiveabillion View Post
    I actually kept it filled up all day. I put the same 93 octane gas I put in my WR250R in it. Whe. I last fills it up, I only put about 1 gallon in it. I can still ride it the way it is, I'm just concerned that it needs to be fixed. I'm planning to change the oil and filter, since I don't know if the previous owner did the 600 mile change or not. The bike is pretty old to have so few miles on it. I'm close to hitting as many miles one WRR, and I've only had it about 3 weeks.
    It really just sounds like you have a small blockage in the pilot circuit. Seafoam is your friend with these small blockages. Do nothing until you fill the tank, add 4 ounces of seafoam, and run that treated gas through it for several shorter trips over the course of a week or so. It will most likely fix your problem. It did mine.

Tom
    Fred likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I'm pretty handy with cars, but I've only had motorcycles for less than a month. I've not worked on a carburetor before,but I'm willing to give it a shot.what do I need to do?

Sponosred Links