Idling Issue
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Idling Issue

Idling Issue

I have a 2006 with idle issues. It runs just fine, but if I pull in the clutch at speed and let off the throttle the rpms don't come down (in fact sometimes it revs out of control). This also happens if the bike is in neutral and I rev it up - the rpms run away. When this happens, the only way to bring the rpms back down is to put it in gear, let out the clutch a bit, and use an engine load to bring the revs back down. Then it idles just fine.
    I just did a carb rebuild - replaced all the jets, seats, gaskets, etc. It's not a sticky cable or the idle speed setting.
    Any ideas?

Thanks.

How many turns is the air/fuel screw turned out? Did it do this before the carb rebuild? You cleaned or replaced ALL the jets, including the pilot jet? What size were the jets and what are they now?
    VintageGW and jbfla like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart 2 View Post
    I have a 2006 with idle issues. It runs just fine, but if I pull in the clutch at speed and let off the throttle the rpms don't come down (in fact sometimes it revs out of control). This also happens if the bike is in neutral and I rev it up - the rpms run away. When this happens, the only way to bring the rpms back down is to put it in gear, let out the clutch a bit, and use an engine load to bring the revs back down. Then it idles just fine.
    I just did a carb rebuild - replaced all the jets, seats, gaskets, etc. It's not a sticky cable or the idle speed setting.
    Any ideas?
    Mozart2, I had a similar problem and I think it really is about cleaning the circuits in the carb really well. I ran my carb through a ultrasonic cleaner several times and that helped a lot. I also found that the small spring on top of the needle was missing as well. They do sometimes fly across the room when you take them apart. Best wishes for success!

See my earlier thread on this subject:
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...turn-idle.html
    littletommy and jbfla like this.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yep, replaced all jets including the pilot jet - all with stock size. The air/fuel screw is turned out 1-3/4 as I understand that is the factory setting. The idling problem existed before the rebuild (I was hoping the rebuild would fix it but to no avail).

Open the air/fuel mixture to 2 and 1/2. and see what happens.
    jbfla and VintageGW like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hey Little Tommy,
    I've gotten past my CDI problem and now the issue is after totally cleaning the carb i think its out of whack adjustment wise. When cold if i try to use the choke it wont start, like no gas. I've had to start it with putting gas in the cylinder per elime. once started the idle is good but if i pull the choke at all it dies. Went out riding and can wind it out so i runs great so i'm close but dont want to try adjusting my way into screwing it up.
    Enjoy Thanksgiving folks
    Hertha

I worked on an Yamaha XS500 that had this "hanging idle" problem and it ended up being a valve clearance issue, which seems odd but once they were set to factory specs, it idled fine. Might be worth checking if you haven't already. A vacuum leak will also cause this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by hertha View Post
    Hey Little Tommy,
    I've gotten past my CDI problem and now the issue is after totally cleaning the carb i think its out of whack adjustment wise. When cold if i try to use the choke it wont start, like no gas. I've had to start it with putting gas in the cylinder per elime. once started the idle is good but if i pull the choke at all it dies. Went out riding and can wind it out so i runs great so i'm close but dont want to try adjusting my way into screwing it up.
    Enjoy Thanksgiving folks
    Hertha
    Hertha, I forget, what year is this bike? Is the air/fuel mixture screw out 2 and 1/2 or so? Did it work fine before messing with the carb? Did you add shims or change anything? Were there any parts left over? ha ha I want to think the problem is in your pilot jet or associated parts.... Tell us more please, we'll do our best.

Hey Little Tommy and Scotti,
    Its an 87, just well cleaned new gaskets. it runs awesome once started idling with the expected bump bump bump no choke at a traffic light ran it up well over 60 yesterday no hitch just very low(maybe too low idle). no shims and no left over parts BAHHHHHH did look for that wouldnt be the first time. Will run the screw to the bottom and get to 2 1/2 again. Just crazy drop some gas in cylinder and from then on running tight. Appreciate y'alls time. Need to get it together before too cold to work in driveway.
    later hertha

Quote Originally Posted by hertha View Post
    Hey Little Tommy and Scotti,
    Its an 87, just well cleaned new gaskets. it runs awesome once started idling with the expected bump bump bump no choke at a traffic light ran it up well over 60 yesterday no hitch just very low(maybe too low idle). no shims and no left over parts BAHHHHHH did look for that wouldnt be the first time. Will run the screw to the bottom and get to 2 1/2 again. Just crazy drop some gas in cylinder and from then on running tight. Appreciate y'alls time. Need to get it together before too cold to work in driveway.
    later hertha
    Just confirmed 2 1/2 still the same turning over but no joy. Dont know if putting gas in the cylinder will help me get to figuring this out. thx hertha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links