Can't get enough power
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Devils Advocate
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Can't get enough power

Can't get enough power

Hey guys, I have an old 87 tw200 that I bought for dirt cheep as a fun little project bike and can't get it to run exactly how it should. I can get it to start every now and then but it can't stay on for long. And when tackling hills it just doesn't feel like all the power is being used. I can feel the piston moving extremely fast but the bike only slowly picks up speed as if the piston is too small or the intake for the carb is bad. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Have you checked the lithium crystals Scotty?

I know, bad joke. I'ld check the compression first. That will tell how the top end is and doesn't require any tear down. If that's good take a look into the carb. There is a thread in the technical section about the poor mans carb cleaning. You can remove the throttle cables and tilt the carb out the right side and get to the float bowl from the left side. See how much gunk you have in the float bowl. You can remove the jets and gently run a thin piece of piano wire through them. A few people recommend running Sea Foam to clean things out or at the very least, I believe as a preventative measure.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Here's the link to the Lazy Mans Carb Cleaning.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-cleaning.html
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 08-30-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    admiral likes this.

Misadjusted valves can also cause a lack of power.

That carb cleaning thread is for the newer cv type carb, but will give you an idea of what to do for the slide carb on your '87.

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 08-30-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by novelmuffin View Post
    Hey guys, I have an old 87 tw200 that I bought for dirt cheep as a fun little project bike and can't get it to run exactly how it should. I can get it to start every now and then but it can't stay on for long. And when tackling hills it just doesn't feel like all the power is being used. I can feel the piston moving extremely fast but the bike only slowly picks up speed as if the piston is too small or the intake for the carb is bad. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum novelmuffin!! Take a peek through this link also.
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...back-life.html
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Hate to correct you but its dilithium lol

Maybe a really messed up sprocket ratio even. That would be an explanation for the power. But as far as not running right and not starting, maybe carb needs cleaned. Or maybe that's the whole issue. I would start with the easiest thing first. Valves. Then the carburetor. Those are the only two I could think of. Or maybe check the compression first.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

If the engine is reving and the bike is not going you might look into the clutch discs slipping. Fuel delivery is often the issue with older TWs and that begins inside the tank, petcock, carb and the connecting boots. No or poor fuel flow equals no go! If the carb boots are leaking air then you will never get it to run right. If the carb is full of crud inside or has any of the orifices blocked then it will never run right until you fix the issue. Check your chain and sprockets, 14 teeth in the front and 50 on the rear is stock. If a previous owner changed sprocket sizes for higher top speed you would certainly notice very poor power when off road. Check your brakes, if they are dragging you will be loosing power. You have to attack this one step at a time until you find the culprit.

GaryL
    jbfla likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

"I can feel the piston move really fast".....does this mean it is revving really high? If so, maybe gearing is super low, or like GaryL said, clutch slipping. Keep after it. I love my 87.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

It shouldn't be a major issue no matter which problem it is. All fairly simple stuff
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

Sponosred Links