Slight fork oil leak?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Slight fork oil leak?

Slight fork oil leak?

Apparently I can't catch a break with little things on this bike, but that's half the fun, right? I noticed a little bit of liquid coming out of the holes at the base of the fork boot on my right fork. Should it be easy to pop off the boot where's it's attached on bottom so I can get a better look at the fork seal? I don't want to go yanking it up the fork only to realize its not supposed to come off and have to replace it. I should be fine riding around with a little leak for a while too, right?
    '90 TW200
    '03 Triumph Bonneville t100

Yes – you can pop the boot up and take a look – but rub the leaking liquid between your fingers first – it might just be water.

If it is oil, for it to start escaping the boot it’s more likely to be a serious leak – not a “little” leak.

The problem with that is, with more oil in one fork than the other, the damping effect will be unequal, which will affect the handling under braking and bumps

Rub it in between your fingers first – you might just get lucky ……
    admiral likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Yippee!! A fellow New Yorker!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

...and if you pop the boot off and it is more than just a little, you have 2 courses of action, however you still have to figure out how much oil you may have lost and replace it.

If the leak just started, you may try cleaning around the seal (after dust cover is removed) with a seal cleaner. It's a thin hook like tool to slip in between the tube and seal and clean out possible debris causing a leak. In Moab this past year, I made one out of a Autozone rewards card and it worked. I had sand or something like it. I guessemated how much oil to put in, but I don't advise this, just something I did in the field environment.

The second course of action is to remove and disassemble the offending leaking fork. It's much easier to do than to explain. Here is a great thread on how to change a seal: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...placement.html

If you need more help, there's several of us here who've had to replace our seals and did it ourselves. Just let us know!
    littletommy, ejfranz and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the advice! It honestly just looks like a little extra moisture around the bottom fold of the fork boot (the one with the holes in it, and the bottom on the fold directly above it), not a drip or anything. I'll check it out by popping the boot up when I get home from work and let you all know! That tool looks great Admiral - I'm all for the simple fix if it works, haha. Here I am thinking I got a good deal on this bike, and it's been nothing but little fixes since I picked it up! Still makes me grin ear to ear when I ride it though.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    '90 TW200

If you ever do start to see oil on the fork, try the Seal Mate first.
    After the Oregon dunes my WR had oil on the fork.
    I used the Seal Mate on both seals and it fixed the problem.
    Check out their website for full details on how to use.
    admiral likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Well I have now confirmed that it is indeed time for a a new fork seal. Luckily I can just take the fork off and bring it to my local shop to get a new one put on. I know some folks have replaced their own with some home made specialty tools, but with my limited toolset I think it will be best to actually take it in. Ah well! There's always something with this little bike, haha.
    '90 TW200

All you need for speciality tools should be found right at home!

Easy peasy fork removal tool

Choose the best tool for the job

After all, you have choices!

Of course, I kid. If you don't have the time or are not comfortable with the job, no harm in taking it to someone who can or the job could end up looking like this.

Hope you're back up and running in no time!
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

rbm
    Have you tried running a thin piece of plastic around the seal to see if it just has a piece of dirt in it?

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Have you tried running a thin piece of plastic around the seal to see if it just has a piece of dirt in it?
    This ^^^^. Make that same tool out of a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle. The contour of the bottle matches the forks. This is the problem most of the time. It's so easy!!!! Please try it before you send it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links