I done goof'd... Help!!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I done goof'd... Help!!

I done goof'd... Help!!

Okay so I'm new here and new to the t-dub scene and could really use some help with diagnosing a non start issue. So what i did was i bought a 2001 t-dub and started ordering parts right away. Now i have all the parts installed and have removed some things that i probably shouldn't have and i need to know if thats why I'm having issues. I really liked the hollow mod look so i went ahead and ordered a japanese hollow mod kit without a battery and just a capacitor that has a positive and negative terminal. This is where things go kinda bad.. i removed the stock wiring to the starter... like completely, and now the only way to start the bike is with the kickstarter that i installed. I also removed the rear blinkers, removed the horn, removed the kickstand switch, and i believe the neutral switch. Now when i try to start it just won't come alive. It has spark and it is getting gas, and I'm running out of ideas. Does anyone here know if it could be electrical or anything. Really looking forward to riding my new baby around but need help. PLEASE HELP! thanks for reading

Hold on there, slow down and take a few slow deep breaths. If you have spark and gas, the only other things you need are air and timing. I would place my bet at this point on timing is off. Of all the stuff you took off the only things that would have an impact on the starting would be the kick stand switch and the neutral switch. (Why remove the neutral switch?) Did you tear down the the bottom end to get the neutral switch out?

Edited to add; What else did you do? Air box/filter modifications? New Header/exhaust? Maybe a re jetting is in order as well. Try a little ether, but only once. That will tell you whether the timing is good if it fires up and the issue more than likely will be jetting.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 09-03-2015 at 05:06 AM.

Another easy thing to do, if you have good spark at the plug and you're sure you have gas and air, is to try bump starting it. Do you have a long fairly steep hill that is paved that you can coast down? If you do get rolling at a good clip and the kick it up into second gear and drop the clutch. See if you get any popping.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Try that ^^^^
    If you have no luck there it might be time to start backing up. I know it goes against what you are aiming for but start returning thing to stock form one by one until you get some life back.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Thought of something easier than the bump starting. Try jumpering from a good source (your car) the electric starter. Don't get too crazy or you'll burn up the starter motor.

Are you SURE there is gas in the cylinder? If so, you must have set the valves on the wrong rotation. Remember, the valves MUST be set at TDC on the compression stroke! It can be done wrong. I know. I have done it.

fishguy just made me think of something else related to the timing. If your cam/cam sprocket is not timed correctly with the cylinder/crank your valves could be down as the cylinder reaches top dead center. Not good for the valves and/or piston. Better re-check this first before you go wailing too hard on the kick starter or bump or jump starting it.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 09-03-2015 at 10:52 AM.

I know disconnecting the kick stand switch on mine will shut things down unless I jump across the the connection that I unplugged with a bit of wire.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyankee View Post
    I know disconnecting the kick stand switch on mine will shut things down unless I jump across the the connection that I unplugged with a bit of wire.
    And exactly why would you want to do that? You want to ride away with your kickstand down and have the bike go down when you make a little bit of a left turn because the rear wheel gets kicked off the ground?

I would imagine the reason they do that is in conjunction with the whole hollow mod thing. You want to make look a s clean and simple as possible. Many of us older fuds here have driven motorcycles that did not have this switch and we did just fine. Just one more instance of having to rely on someone else to look out for one's own stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links