Is my chain too loose?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Is my chain too loose?

Is my chain too loose?

Howdy folks,

I have a new 2015 TDub, and just passed the 200 mile mark. I noticed that my chain might be a little loose, so I consulted the owner's manual. The recommended slack according to the manual is between 1.4 and 2.4 inches. The slack on my chain is about 2.75 inches. Is this something that should concern me, or am I good to just wait for the 600-mile service and let Yamaha adjust the chain at that point? Recommendations?

Thanks.

Adjust it.
    Hoot Gibson and Peterb like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Adjust it.
    NOW, or sooner, which ever occurs first.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow after reading through the manual I didn't realize how easy it is to adjust. No brainer.
    littletommy likes this.

If you're keeping the stock chain, just consider it practice, you'll be adjusting it a lot. (sorry, couldn't help it)
    Hoot Gibson and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    If you're keeping the stock chain, just consider it practice, you'll be adjusting it a lot. (sorry, couldn't help it)
    LT is right, the stock chain wears very quickly. Get an O-Ring or better yet, an X-Ring type chain on it as as possible, before it starts to wear the sprockets. Less adjusting + less wear on sprockets=more riding for less $. I installed an X-ring chain and it went 4,000 miles before the first adjustment!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

A little to loose is much much better than a little to tight.

My chain is loose as in floppy loose. It has never given me trouble.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    LT is right, the stock chain wears very quickly. Get an O-Ring or better yet, an X-Ring type chain on it as as possible, before it starts to wear the sprockets. Less adjusting + less wear on sprockets=more riding for less $. I installed an X-ring chain and it went 4,000 miles before the first adjustment!

+1 on the O or X ring!
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Get used to lifting the chain with the toe of your boot to check the tension before you ride – you’ll soon get to know if it gets too tight or too loose – it’s a good way to check if it needs lube too

The chain is the highest maintenance item on the TW (or any) bike – even if it only needs adjusting once a month – you need to know where it is at any given time

As suggested above – an “X” ring or “O ring chain will make those adjustments few and far between – but still – get your boot up there every now and then just in case ………
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Adjust it.
    Scotti......what brand of X- ring chain did you buy?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links