5th gear whining noise
Close

5th gear whining noise

Hello guys! I need some advice on a noise with my tw, the motor is perfect, no noise ,starts first click . I have done an oil change (motul 3000), and it has a good service history although it has 45k (kilometres) on the clock . When I'm riding, and I go into 5th gear, there is a whining noise. all other gears, the bike is quiet. Any advice or help on this would be great. Thanx!!

rbm
    Hello and welcome! I would look at the chain first, you could be hearing the noise when it's moving the fastest in 5th gear while the engine RPM's are most likely the lowest while riding so less engine noise.

Had the same issue on my Mothers v-star 650. It needed a trans rebuild though I'm not 100% sure what exactly is wrong with it (I have not got around to it yet just swapped in a LOW KM complete engine I got from the local wreckers). Her bike has 60,000kms now so original engine had ruffly 55,000kms.

My intentions were to rebuild the original engine and trans and build it for more power. But she is nearing 60 now and has had a double knee replacement so she riding it less and less as it just really heavy for her now. So it likely going to be replaced next summer with a much smaller lighter machine and I won't get the chance to really dig into the old engine.

On a side note I will be sad to see the bike go as it was my FIRST bike and after I decided to move to my next bike. I Gave it to my mother as a Christmas gift to replace her worn out tired Suzuki Savage. The bike has always been a great machine and I even considered buying it back but I don't need two cruisers. And have more important things on the way then another project bike.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Sponosred Links