sudden sputtering, need a second opinion
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Turtle Chaser

Thread: sudden sputtering, need a second opinion

sudden sputtering, need a second opinion

So I have an sudden onset sputter.

lets start with some recent history.
    -left side cover came off last week for a neutral safety switch leak. ran great after that
    -went on a nutso ride a week ago that was muddy and I tipped over atleast 6 times. ran great after all that
    -washed the bike off with a hose when I got back. a little hard to start, but came to life anyway
    -went out for a ride last night and it was a shit show. It warmed up alright, but after a few blocks it started bucking and sputtering under any load and would not continue down the road, but it would idle great. took it back home called it names and left it be.
    this morning i drained the float bowl and it started right up and I hit the road. Unfortunately I got the same thing and had to limp it back home. I should add that if I pulled the choke partway on she would run half assed enough to get the few blocks back home. So I pulled the carb and oped it up to find a couple little flakes of something in the bowl. My suspicion is that they were sucking up into the main jet and that is why it would still idle. It now seems to run well with a little hesitation around 5k, but I think I may just be hyper sensitive at the moment. I wanna believe its fixed, but I'm a little worried about the electrical stuff. Any other key items I should check or just twist the throttle and grin when I hit 6th gear.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

It wouldn't hurt to yank the pilot jet out and make sure it isn't clogged too.

Gas filter clean? Air filter?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    -went on a nutso ride a week ago that was muddy and I tipped over at least 6 times.
    Might have just disturbed some crud in the tank that is now finding its way into the main jet - try running with a fuel filter and see if that sorts it out (after another carb clean)

and grin when I hit 6th gear.
    Hell - if I could hit 6th on one of these things - I'd do that too ........
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pulled the pilot jet already and blasted it out too. I have a fuel filer and It looks good. I have a clear tank and all looks good,But i know it doesn't take much. I may put a new filter in anyway as this one is oldish.
    225 6 speed complete!
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Just a thought, but is your pilot screw set to about 2 1/2 turns out. Both of my TW's had an ever so slight hesitation when the pilot screw was set at the stock setting. The only carb adjustment I ever made was turning them both out to 2 1/2 turns out and it corrected the hesitation in both cases. You probably have already dialed in your carbs prior to this, but something I hadn't seen you mention in your first post.

"It now seems to run well with a little hesitation around 5k, but I think I may just be hyper sensitive at the moment. I wanna believe its fixed, but I'm a little worried about the electrical stuff. Any other key items I should check"
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Fred's was doing this on the Russ ride his gas cap vent was plugged so try opening it next time.

good ideas fellas. Pilot screw is appx 2.5 turns out and the needle has 3 shims under it. ill try the cap. Its a clark tank with the little shortie vent thing.
    225 6 speed complete!

-went on a nutso ride a week ago that was muddy and I tipped over atleast 6 times. ran great after all that
    -washed the bike off with a hose when I got back. a little hard to start, but came to life anyway
    -went out for a ride last night and it was a shit show.

The air box has a drain, check that. Also check the air filter.
    My first thought was some water and stuff may have been sucked into the air intake.

MAC
    Last edited by Turtle Chaser; 09-10-2015 at 09:11 PM.
    Purple likes this.
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

well I think shes cured back to what it was before. Ive put another hundred miles on it since I cleaned out the carb well and I think that was the ticket. I still have some hesitation at light throttle in the 4800-5200ish range. I think that this was there before, but it bugs me more now. I would guess that its probably needle height. when I changed from the 200 to the 225 I only changed the main jet one size larger. I am wondering if the needle needed a tweak too. It still has three shims under it. I won't hide from the truth that I'm not great at tuning carbs, although I seem to get things going eventually. I have had thoughts of dyno tuning for it since I went through the trouble of the 225. Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. As always I appreciate all the help I can get.
    225 6 speed complete!

Sponosred Links