cdi issues…again!!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: cdi issues…again!!

cdi issues…again!!

right…after having a 'missing' issue and going through the whole carb thing i bought a 2nd hand CDI, fitted it to the bike, cured the problem…simple!!... bike ran fine, ticked over, revved out, i drove it and it seemed to be lacking acceleration a bit but i thought the 45t rear sprocket was the reason for this, as a guy wants to buy this bike i guessed that he can change that if he wants to…job done!

at the weekend i was repairing another Tw that a friend had so kindly trashed..somehow he had melted some wires…as i was checking out the damage i connected the battery n the CDI started to smoke..i quickly unplugged the battery and started cursing as i thought id just F$$ked a perfectly good cdi….to test this i fitted it to the bike i mentioned above, it started up first time so i thought..phew!..no damage done, i went to a quick drive to check it further…..the same bike that had low acceleration now was quick off the mark accelerated perfectly to the point i couldn't tell the difference in sprockets and just generally drove way better than previously….so I'm baffled as to what can fail on these things, both ran fine, no missing, just a noticeable difference on acceleration, i swapped them back n forth and its defiantly 1 cdi is better than the other but both work!!

any ideas? or solutions….i can get cheap parts from japan now but would rather not keep buying cdis to find another good one!!

It sounds like one is going out unless one of the bikes pick ups and magnets isn't letting it advance with the rpms. ??
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

both bikes run perfectly with the 1 cdi so can't be an issue with the bikes. the other cdi will run fine and will get to top speed with out missing..just not mid range/acceleration when you open the throttle
    Last edited by supachip1; 09-07-2015 at 09:23 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Might I suggest a new oem CDI, but purchased from a more affordable source than dealer, i.e. Boats.Net? ( 2001 CDI @ $136.43 plus ~$12 shipping)
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

buying another is easy, i would like to understand whats failing and why, just so i know. i have 4 cdis that came from perfectly good working bikes….all seem to have failed overnight which surely can't be coincidence ??

It does sound as if something else is amiss to cause such re-accuring electrical gremlins. "Smoking CDIs" might make for a good garage band name, but in your bike that spells grief. From your past posts I think you have more CDI experience than any of us so I cannot presume to offer any true insights other than to confirm all wiring and connectors are in good original condition.
    The ohm-meter tests of voltage regulator,CDI, coil and stator parts are indicative but not definitive diagnostics. All my similar readings were in spec but process of elimination with known good parts borrowed from Twilight's bike made me decide to order new source and primary coils which solved my problem. Wasn't really a process of illumination, more of speculation.

I feel your pain and frustration. Good Luck.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

thanks fred…the bike i mentioned above in this post has been cured with the 'good CDI', however i have another that has the same issue but far worse, i tried the 'good CDI' and it didn't make a difference..

I'm not too familiar with the primary & source coils so these are the things i will be looking at as soon as i get free time, but on that note...on this TW i have removed the fly wheel recently to repair the starter clutch bolts that had sheered, after drilling 1 bolt out i removed the magnets to clean everything properly…...i am starting to wonder if they have a certain way to fit?? i didn't notice any marks and they all lines up with the screws and fit, could this be affecting the sparking? i dont remember have this issue previously and have already been through the carb swapping/jetting thing, are the coils adjustable? any tips on what i should be looking for?

thanks
    Last edited by supachip1; 09-09-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    It sounds like one is going out unless one of the bikes pick ups and magnets isn't letting it advance with the rpms. ??
    i am having a clear out and this bike issue is still not solved, its now a spares bike, before i strip too much off id like to fix it and sell it as a running bike.....can you elaborate on this please littletommy, i removed the magnets from the flywheel when the starter clutch bolts sheered...do these magnets have a direction or order they fit in? also i noticed that there is current coming from the brown wire to the cdi, when i disconnect it it seemed to run a little better.

thanks

It has been quite a while, but I seem to remember reading on the forum that placement is an issue and can affect timing. I am sure there are others here who can answer the question better. Sorry bro, I can't be of more help.

Quote Originally Posted by supachip1 View Post
    i am having a clear out and this bike issue is still not solved, its now a spares bike, before i strip too much off id like to fix it and sell it as a running bike.....can you elaborate on this please littletommy, i removed the magnets from the flywheel when the starter clutch bolts sheered...do these magnets have a direction or order they fit in? also i noticed that there is current coming from the brown wire to the cdi, when i disconnect it it seemed to run a little better.

thanks
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

The magnets position and the source coil determine when the spark signal is initiated - you should have just the one magnet to send that "pulse" - so when you say "I removed and cleaned the magnets", (plural), this is a bit confusing.

However - if said magnet is loose or even slightly out of place - this will screw up your timing

My understanding (admittedly vague) of the advance, is that it is handled internally by the CDI unit - the parts numbers for the CDI's varied over the years - make absolutely sure you have the correct one for your year of bike - it is not a "one size fits everything" situation ........
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links