Impact Driver Bits JIS
Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By old white truck
  • 1 Post By rbm
  • 4 Post By GaryL

Thread: Impact Driver Bits JIS

Impact Driver Bits JIS

I'm in the process of taking apart a broken engine. I need JIS bits for my impact driver. It appears that I will need extensions as well. Does anyone know what I need and where I can buy them?
    Rick

If you don't mind spending a few bucks then I have your answer.

I got a full set of JIS bits (and 1 slotted bit) here:

431801 | Impact | Screwdrivers | Hand Tools | VESSEL TOOLS

I have you covered and a PM is in your box.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by old white truck View Post
    If you don't mind spending a few bucks then I have your answer.

I got a full set of JIS bits (and 1 slotted bit) here:

431801 | Impact | Screwdrivers | Hand Tools | VESSEL TOOLS

Vessel screwdrivers are the best JIS tools I've found.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

What you have to understand about Vessel and JIS is a bit confusing. JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard and it is a patented name brand. If you note at the Vessel site they say "Fits JIS".

The true name or type is "Cross Point" in the Vessel line. At Fastenal they don't have a clue when you ask for JIS drivers or bits but they do have and sell Cross Point bits but usually not in store stock.

A JIS or Cross Point works great in our standard Phillips head screws while a Phillips screw driver sucks in JIS head screws and always want to round the slots out.

At Vessel they do sell the standard Cross point bits that have the standard shank size of 6MM which is 1/4", the same as all the other standard screw driver bits like the Phillips ones. Cross points come in sizes just like Phillips, P1, P2 & P3 for small medium and large screws. When I bought mine from Vessel the Cross Point bits were only sold in packs of 10 or 12 so I bought a pack of each size, 1, 2, & 3. If this is still the case then I suggest a few guys get together and purchase a pack of each size and divide them up. I also dip each of the Cross Point bits in cold steel gun blue to blacken them so I can distinguish them from the regular Phillips bits I have.

Maybe a forum group buy of say 100 in each size would work except there are a number of variations in the shank type. Some have a round grove that locks it into your driver head with a ball indent while others have a notch and still others are just straight 6MM/1/4" with no notch or grove for a magnetic coupler. Anyone working on Japanese Motorcycles needs all three sizes of JIS or Cross Point screw drivers or bits so you might as well bite the bullet and buy what is necessary before you screw up all your screws with a Phillips head screw driver.

GaryL
    jbfla, wolfy, TopPredator and 1 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

GaryL,
    Fascinating!
    I found a number of places on line a couple of years back that sells individual Vessel screwdrivers as well as bits.
    The one I ordered from was a tool company for Utillity companies as I recall.
    I did not know that "Cross Point" was another name for "J.I.S."
    Maybe that is why when I asked the local Snap-On and Cornwell tool guys that looked at me like I was nutz.
    I couldn't understand for the LIFE of me why neither guy didn't know what I was asking about. Really? Nobody's ever asked them before for J.I.S. screwdrivers?!
    One question, seems like I read somewhere that J.I.S. wasn't used any longer, stopped in the 70's or 80's?
    And the fasteners have a "dot" to indicate it is a J.I.S fastener. I know OLD honda screws have that dot, but haven't seen them lately.
    RicklesssS in Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Ricklesss View Post
    GaryL,
    Fascinating!
    I found a number of places on line a couple of years back that sells individual Vessel screwdrivers as well as bits.
    The one I ordered from was a tool company for Utillity companies as I recall.
    I did not know that "Cross Point" was another name for "J.I.S."
    Maybe that is why when I asked the local Snap-On and Cornwell tool guys that looked at me like I was nutz.
    I couldn't understand for the LIFE of me why neither guy didn't know what I was asking about. Really? Nobody's ever asked them before for J.I.S. screwdrivers?!
    One question, seems like I read somewhere that J.I.S. wasn't used any longer, stopped in the 70's or 80's?
    And the fasteners have a "dot" to indicate it is a J.I.S fastener. I know OLD honda screws have that dot, but haven't seen them lately.
    RicklesssS in Oregon
    With JIS fasteners the dot may or may not be there! There is no standard stating the dot is necessary but rest assured the JIS/Cross Point are still very much the standard in Japanese manufacturing.

GaryL

Got stuff from here before if anyone is looking for standard JIS screwdrivers.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I love my Vessel Cross Point drivers.

Would be interested in a group buy for tips. I need at least #2 & #3 for my impact driver.

Sponosred Links