Ride home from dealer?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Ride home from dealer?

Ride home from dealer?

As I patiently await the arrival of my new TW to the dealer, I am thinking about the ride home. I want to break This bike the best way possible. The most direct route is a four lane with a 65 mph speed limit. The dealer is about 65 miles from my home. While I can find other ways that aren't as fast, they will add miles. From everything I have read, 50 miles is about the max recommended before changing the oil for the first time. So, what should I do? The only other vehicle I have bought was an 08 Dodge diesel. I didn't follow manufacturers recommended break in. Within 500 miles it was towing a heavy load down the interstate. That truck broke in quick and never used any oil. I figured heavg trucks never have a "soft" break-in and van last 1 mil miles. Bug, a diesel engine is slightly different than a 200 cc thumper.

Also, I have access to Rotella T in bulk. (I work in a truck shop). Is this a commonly ran oil around here? Thanks
    Last edited by Iowegian; 09-23-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    Coming Soon: 2016 TW200

Other ride: 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Don't worry about the 50-mile oil change recommendation by the forum. Ride it home and then change the oil. You will also be fine running the back roads which add miles. Other than a short jaunt, I'd stay off the 4 lane.

Too many (good & bad) opinions on what oil to use. Mine would just be one of them. I say read the owners manual and you can decide from there.

Best advice I can give, have fun with the TW!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Rotella T works fine. Be prepared for a major controversy though, because some people around here think it's no good if it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle on the can.

Personally, I would just stop and let it rest a bit and check the oil, adding a bit if necessary. Then change it after you arrive home. I would take one of the slower routes home, and I would put some pretty good loads on it to ensure the rings seat.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    You still buy oil in a CAN?

I showed my stepson the old chrome push in spout for oil cans... He had no idea what it was for!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
    Rotella T works fine. Be prepared for a major controversy though, because some people around here think it's no good if it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle on the can.

Personally, I would just stop and let it rest a bit and check the oil, adding a bit if necessary. Then change it after you arrive home. I would take one of the slower routes home, and I would put some pretty good loads on it to ensure the rings seat.

Why wait for Rotella after the break in? l figured any conventional oil meeting JASO spec would be fine.
    Coming Soon: 2016 TW200

Other ride: 2007 Yamaha FZ6

rpm variation and engine load variation is the key here - keep the bike doing different stuff - change the oil when you get back home, the mileage isn't critical, it's more to do with getting the early junk out of the engine .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I see a lot of talk about changing the oil early and often, but I've never seen anything about someone who caused engine damage or excessive wear from waiting until the 600 mile oil change. Just saying.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

welcome to the forum I changed my oil and filter at 100, 250, 600 and the dirtiest the filter was, was at 100. with each change it is cleaner to a point where I don't mind changing it every other oil change. as far as break in goes, I read an article that said you have the first 20 miles to break in the rings properly, after that it can it can take forever, if ever. with mine, in the first 50 miles, I road it like I stole it, at least once. just my opion
    admiral, WECSOG and immgunn like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Changing the oil during breakin is a good idea imo, get the break-in shavings out. I run Rotella T in my bikes and love it(keep an eye out for coupons), best bang for buck imo. Alot of peeps run Mobil in theirs after breakin too, another good choice. Take it easy for first few miles, no wot and you will be fine .

I use rotella t in everything that requires periodic oil changes, and buy it at Menards or Wal mart, works great.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links