Carb help
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carb help

Carb help

Well I thought I had everything set. Just picked up a used 2013 tw. Had the usual cold start issues read up here on carb jetting etc. I ordered a jet kit and k&n filter from procycle. Installed the airfilter pulled the carb and used the instructions with the jet kit said that I should use 1 washer on the needle and the 125 jet that came with the kit( supposedly the numbers do not correspond to the numbers on the stock jets. so I went the the instructions I also drilled out the cover on the idle mixture and it was 1.5 turns out so I turned out to 2 full turns from lightly seated. It started and idled great but half throttle and up it stutters and runs like crap. I put the stock jet back in and its the same. Should I remove the shim on the needle ?

Apparently, that is what is causing it...
    Go out more on the pilot jet to 2 1/2 or more.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hopefully is isn't a Keyster kit.. It's always better to buy OEM jets.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wish I had known these were not oem jets when I ordered it

Here is my thoughts on this....Engines are not emissions/certified tested at wide open throttle settings( as far as I know) so the main jet is usually pretty close to what it needs to be. I believe they are tested at certain percentages of redline under load but not at full throttle. In my experience this means they are ok on the main jet but lean at idle and partial throttle settings. So I think you are spot on with your idle mixture screw( or close) and also on your shimmed needle....if the washer thickness is 30 to 40 thousands or there abouts. Make sure the needle shim is not hung up or the washer is to big for the hole it fits in. I think all this is pretty good....I would return to the stock main jet and this will likely solve this, if the other mods are done correctly. If this doesnt help, try the stock air filter again as well...hope this helps

When things get worse it is always better to return the bike to stock and get it back to square one.
    Once it is running "as it was" then make single changes and run it up to full temp. Personally I would start with adjusting the mixture to 2 1/2, then give it a try fully warmed up. Take a good look at the new jet compared to the stock, Since you say the numbers might be off you will need to just give them the careful eyeball. Since you didn't mention what what altitude you are at and haven't given a location in your profile it is a little hard to advise you about jetting. It would also help to know if it is a 49 state, or California bike.
    Generally the Procycle kit is designed to richen the mix across the range. Since you have issues with mid to full throttle I would lose the shim and use the smaller jet.
    Personally I am riding 1500 to about 5000 ft. I have had good results removing the Cali. canister, 130 jet, no shim, 2 & 1/4 turns of screw. MPG hanging between 65-70.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

if this is a half throttle and up issue I would check the main nozzle for cleanliness an go back to the stock main jet (if it's a Cali model grab a 49 state main jet) they are easy to clean and never a problem unless modified / abused. If it's starting and idling fine the idle mixture screw is irrelevant (1 1/2 turns will almost always be fine btw) but do replace the pilot jet as they are near impossible to clean and are critical for starting, idling and overall performance.
    The main nozzle (the main jet screws into the nozzle) has numerous small orifices that are easily occluded with just the slightest varnish etc and these are critical to open throttle fuel feed.
    I order all my oem carb parts (pilot jets etc) from Partzilla and grab a few extras they are nice to have around when you need them
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 09-24-2015 at 06:44 AM.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

The bike is a 2013 with 500 miles at 600ft. The year was in the original post not sure why you think its first gen.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeyeti View Post
    The bike is a 2013 with 500 miles at 600ft. The year was in the original post not sure why you think its first gen.
    excellent lets check that main nozzle and clean out the 12 small orifices and you should be pulling hard at full throttle again!

btw I doubt you would need to shim the needle with just the K&N filter
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 09-24-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pipeyeti View Post
    Opp's, my bad. I have no idea why I thought that??? For some reason, I thought I had read that it was a 88. Sorry bro!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links