• 12 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 4 Post By Ski Pro 3
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian
  • 8 Post By troll

Thread: My Appreciation (and an Apology) for Mr. Gizmow

My Appreciation (and an Apology) for Mr. Gizmow

A few weeks ago I sent Gerry (aka Mr. Gizmow) a busted XT225 carburetor that I didn't need. I wouldn't take any money for it so Gerry said he would build a Wind Gizmow for me. Last week my wife's twin sister visited us on her first trip to California, so my job was to serve as a tour guide and chauffeur while they did what they always do when they get together which is pretty much ignore everyone else and talk non-stop. Having observed the unique bond and startling similarities between the two of them who shared a womb for nine months, and have identical DNA, has convinced me that much of who we are and what we become is already hard wired into us by the time that we are born. Anyways, back to my story.

Sometime between last Friday (Alcatraz, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, Lombard Street and a cable car ride) and Saturday (Yosemite - Bridal Veil Fall - more like a drip this year, El Capitan, Chapel, Ahwahnee Hotel, gift shop, picnic lunch on Sentinel Beach followed by a hike up Sentinel Dome and a stop at Glacier Point) Gerry's Wind Gizmow was delivered. I excitedly opened the box and removed the Wind Gizmow from its carefully arranged nest of air cushions, bubble wrap and other assorted packing materials. I set the box aside and we proceeded to admire Gerry's exquisite craftmanship. The Wind Gizmow remained on our kitchen table for Sunday (back to San Francisco to visit my youngest son, Golden Gate Park, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito and Muir Woods), Monday and Tuesday until I had the chance to hang it up where an old wind chime was once hung. Again, back to my story.

Fast forward to last night, Thursday, which is the night that I put our trash out. I grabbed the box that the Wind Gizmow came in and proceeded to empty it into the recycling bin when I noticed flash of red and green color in a corner of the box and thought what the heck is that? Well it turned out to be Mr. Gizmow Chain Adjustment Tool #1 that was within several milliseconds of ending up in the trash. Here's where the apology comes in - sorry Gerry, I had no idea there was anything else in that box besides the Wind Gizmow!

100_5500.JPG

100_5501.JPG

100_5495.JPG

100_5497.JPG

This a very novel, well thought out and nicely crafted tool that does exactly what it was devised to do - which is to verify proper chain tension on a TW. I have never actually measured my chain slack, but have just relied on my guessing at what seems to be about right. Tonight I thought that I would use this tool to actually measure the three TW's I have that are currently operational. The first one was just barely into the green, or acceptable, zone. The second one was in the middle of the green zone, and the one pictured above was towards the upper range of the green zone. Turns out my guesstimating is actually pretty good.

Gerry, I really appreciate the thought, time and effort that went into crafting these items and your generosity for gifting these to me! (But next time you decide to surprise someone with something extra, give them a headsup or make it idiot proof so someone like me can't miss it !)

In the spirit of Gerry's generosity, I would like to pass this one of a kind tool on to the next forum member who would like a little confirmation that they are properly adjusting their chain tension. Who would like to be next in line for the one, and possibly only, Mr. Gizmow Chain Adjustment Tool #1?

Brian, you certainly can tell a good tale. I could just picture you actively guiding the Grand Central California Tour while the sisters chatted away.
    Here is a Stump the Expert Question: How does a longer, extended swing arm affect chain slack considerations?
    I'm not gunning for the Mr.Gizmo Chain Adjustment Toll #1 as I already am the recipient of other treasures from him like the Original and Magna-assist Valve Adjuster Tools as well as the Snail Chaser Axle Cam Rotating Tool. Forward to someone who would truly appreciate.
    TWilight likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Maybe hang onto it long enough to let the guys who attend your wrench and ride event give it a go.
    sponge, admiral, TWilight and 1 others like this.
    The bear slayer!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Here is a Stump the Expert Question: How does a longer, extended swing arm affect chain slack considerations?
    Gerry's Tool worked just fine for my 2" extended swingarm but since I am currently using a 65 tooth rear sprocket I had to improvise a way to lower his tool about 1/4" more than the adjustment slot would allow. I did this by slapping a magnet onto the underside of the swingarm and then attaching Gerry's tool to the underside of this magnet - easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    Maybe hang onto it long enough to let the guys who attend your wrench and ride event give it a go.
    That's not a bad idea!

At one one of our earlier get-togethers we replaced the rear spring on Bananachunks' bike and after we put things back together, we had 5 different opinions on what was the proper tension !

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    This is just another incredible example of the generosity and thoughtfulness of many of this forums members. rarely a day goes by that I am not humbled by some of its members... Mr. Gizmo being one of those members. There are truly wonderful individuals among us...

+1 , well said troll.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    Make it sort of a travel bug, going from event to event. Maybe adding especially useful gizmos.
    Got an event? Request the Gizmo bag...
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Thanks Brian, kind of forgot about the chain gauge myself. Sounded like you were covering lots of territory as a tour guide. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Thanks Brian, kind of forgot about the chain gauge myself. Sounded like you were covering lots of territory as a tour guide. Gerry
    Golden Bolt.jpg
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links