Hard time getting into first some times.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hard time getting into first some times.

Hard time getting into first some times.

I just purchase my TW last week, it's a 2015 I purchased with 78 miles. The bike is fantastic, I wouldn't want any other bikes honestly; however, sometimes when I'm coming to a stop and I'm holding the clutch in to go down to first it wants to stay in neutral while I'm at a very slow roll or complete stop, after a few good pushes the neutral light goes off and I'm good to go. With that being said I get a little nervous with impatient cars behind me, perhaps I'm just not pushing it in hard enough or the bike needs broken in, any suggestions?

Featherthe clutch as you press down. This will rotate the tranny parts so that an engagment slot in the gear cluster lines up and the dogs engage.
    Phelonius

Just stomp on the gear change lever some more, that's what I do. I've always thought the TW'S shifting was pretty weaksauce [probably cheap shift forks or drum or something?]. It doesn't have that positive feel when you shift like every other bike I've ridden. Sometimes I wonder 'did it shift? because i can't tell. well the rpm are lower so it must have shifted'. When I come to a stop, I always push down on the shifter a few extra times just in case I'm not in first. [I also spam the turn signal cancel button constantly and try to shift into sixth in the TW and seventh in the CBR nearly every time-you never know when one might have grown over night].
    TW-Brian and Yamahauln like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This is pretty common behavior for my TW's. I try to down shift through the gears when coming to a stop so I don't have to try and do it while the bike is at a standstill. It may also help if you rock the bike back and forth slightly while pressing the gearshift down into first. It is also a good idea to keep the bike in gear while you are at a stoplight so you can make a quick getaway if needed.

Your experiencing something normal for the TW, but...

TWilight mentions what you should look for, especially if something is wrong.

TW-Brian mentions what very nearly all of us experience on the TW.

Also, if you're gonna park your TW and are trying to get it into neutral before shutting it off and are having difficulty, hit the kill switch just above the starter switch. With the engine off you will most likely find it will now easily shift into neutral.
    Mel, TW-Brian, Fred and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks everyone, I'm going to look into all of this after I ride home tonight. I've never had many issues with my Yamaha stuff but felt I needed to make sure this was the nature of the beast. I'll check my clutch release return spring and oil tonight. I believe I have some Yamalube at the house if it needs replenishing.

As funny as this sounds I'd take this little bike over an R1 lol, there's something special about being able to actually afford your dream bike, TDubin is the only way!

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    This is pretty common behavior for my TW's. I try to down shift through the gears when coming to a stop so I don't have to try and do it while the bike is at a standstill. It may also help if you rock the bike back and forth slightly while pressing the gearshift down into first. It is also a good idea to keep the bike in gear while you are at a stoplight so you can make a quick getaway if needed.
    ^^^this^^^
    admiral and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I have a new 2015 as well. I downshift to first when coming to a stop and sometimes 1st is a little harder to get into sometimes with a nice clunk.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post

Someone on here has a picture of THAT.

IF indeed the clutch arm return spring is OUT of place, it takes about 13 seconds, and costs ZERO money to remedy this....so NO worries.
    Your wish is my command oh Great One

P8180093.jpg

(just follow the clutch cable down to the engine, and make sure it looks like this - some of them come out of the factory without the spring sitting in that notch) ............
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

AND, when you get 1,500 to 2,000 miles on it, switch to full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 4T Racing 10w40. Both clutching and shifting action will benefit.
    grewen likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links