Motor Question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Motor Question

Motor Question

That basket case I bought had this motor that was locked up. Turns out the clutch was the cause. After disassembling the motor for inspection I thought I would assemble it. All the gears appear to be in good condition and the engine is clean. It appears that it was well maintained. The only problem I have noticed is the crank shaft has been slightly rubbing the case. This is a pic of the left side case. What do you Think?

image.jpeg
    Last edited by TopPredator; 10-01-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Mike now if I can figure how to put it back together. When I took it apart I hadn't planned on reassembling it. This should be fun
    TWilight and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Nothing was designed to be rubbing in the first place. I would find out why and fix it if I was going to plan on using that motor.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Thanks Mike now if I can figure how to put it back together. When I took it apart I hadn't planned on reassembling it. This should be fun
    Let me know if you get stuck during the reassembly. I tried to take semi-good notes during my disassembly and also took quite a few pictures so I would be able to get things back together correctly. Putting the transmission back together was probably the trickiest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Let me know if you get stuck during the reassembly. I tried to take semi-good notes during my disassembly and also took quite a few pictures so I would be able to get things back together correctly. Putting the transmission back together was probably the trickiest for me.
    Thanks Brian. I didn't remove the transmission gears. Did you rebuild it with rod bearings and rings.

Mine was a pretty low mileage engine so I didn't replace the crank bearings. I did have the cylinder bored and honed and installed a new Wiseco piston and rings.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    I need the pictures and notes Brian! Funny, on my way home from work I was thinking to PM you asking some questions. Another was what sealant did you use between cases?
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    That basket case I bought had this motor that was locked up. Turns out the clutch was the cause. After disassembling the motor for inspection I thought I would assemble it. All the gears appear to be in good condition and the motor is clean. It appears that it was well maintained. The only problem I have noticed is the crank shaft has been slightly rubbing the case. This is a pic of the left side case. What do you Think?

image.jpeg
    This looks like the engine case, not the starter motor...
    TW-Brian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I need the pictures and notes Brian! Funny, on my way home from work I was thinking to PM you asking some questions. Another was what sealant did you use between cases?
    Twilight beat me to it!
    That is what I used - Yamabond 4 - but I am sure that any of the (Brand name)bond's would work just as well (except maybe for James Bond ).

100_5520.JPG

Send me your email address and I will pull together my scribblings and pictures and send them to you, or anybody else that might want them. I also printed out the disassembly section from the service manual (pages 4-8 to 4-16 in the one that I have) and referred to that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    This looks like the engine case, not the starter motor...
    It is the engine case. It also seem tricky to get the two halves back together. How long does it take before Yamabond sets up?
    Last edited by TopPredator; 10-02-2015 at 06:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links