shell rotella has any one used it and had any problems
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: shell rotella has any one used it and had any problems

shell rotella has any one used it and had any problems

Just wanting to know if anyone has had any problems running it in bikes with wet clutch

I use it in every shared sump bike I have. Never had an issue. And if you find a place that sells ANY oil chances are they will have Rotella.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I use it in all my bikes, works fine
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

T4 and T6

Quote Originally Posted by stevo86 View Post
    Just wanting to know if anyone has had any problems running it in bikes with wet clutch
    I used the Dino and Full Synthetic Rotella on two bikes this year, no issues and seemed to shift smoother and run quieter in both cases. I would use the synthetic in the TW, but I have had issues with weeping when switching to full synthetic in other, older motors with paper gaskets. My TW is still not weeping. So why tempt fate? If I ever rebuild it or buy a new TW I would switch to full synthetic after the first few oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat twinges View Post
    I used the Dino and Full Synthetic Rotella on two bikes this year, no issues and seemed to shift smoother and run quieter in both cases. I would use the synthetic in the TW, but I have had issues with weeping when switching to full synthetic in other, older motors with paper gaskets. My TW is still not weeping. So why tempt fate? If I ever rebuild it or buy a new TW I would switch to full synthetic after the first few oil changes.

I switched to synthetic oil after thousands of miles on my first TW. At some point later on, after a few oil changes I think, my base gasket started to leak. Reading on the forum I understand the synthetic "could" have cleaned out the debris blocking leakage with the dino oil.

I changed back to dino oil, but it didn't matter. In the end, I had to replace the base gasket. Was the synthetic oil the cause, or a bad base gasket, or something else? I'll never know, just my experience.

I always experience better shifting right after any oil change, dino or synthetic, but after a hundred miles put on I can't tell the difference between the two as far as shifting goes.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Run T6 in all four strokes I own and / or service. But have found if you use the proper oil, change it regularly and keep it full you will have no problems. Oil related that is. For your TW do not use oil with "Energy Conserving" in the bottom of the API donut. Rotella is formulated to withstand the high heat of turbos so it does well in air cooled engines.
    api-motor-oil-service-rating-donuts.jpg
    ”It takes 12 HP to ride around the world—the rest is wheel spin”

Here's a quick search of Rotella Oil.

happy reading

https://tw200forum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=533462
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

I just very recently changed to Shell Rotella-T dino to break in my Wiseco pistons. The clutches in both TW's now seem to barely hold at maximum power. I can't say the oil is causing the problem or if the problem has been there all along and I am just now noticing it with my break in procedure. All I know now is I am planning on shimming the springs for a little more grip. Hopefully that is all it takes.
    admiral likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I switched to synthetic oil after thousands of miles on my first TW. At some point later on, after a few oil changes I think, my base gasket started to leak. Reading on the forum I understand the synthetic "could" have cleaned out the debris blocking leakage with the dino oil.

I changed back to dino oil, but it didn't matter. In the end, I had to replace the base gasket. Was the synthetic oil the cause, or a bad base gasket, or something else? I'll never know, just my experience.

I always experience better shifting right after any oil change, dino or synthetic, but after a hundred miles put on I can't tell the difference between the two as far as shifting goes.
    I know that synthetic does flow more freely and will find leaks that might not have been present with dino oil. That said, you can't honestly blame a bad base gasket on the type of oil you use. Base gasket leaks have been an ongoing issue and Yamaha supposedly addressed this issue with a newer/better gasket. If I was a guessing man I would guess there is a misalignment issue with where the cases split which allows just enough unevenness to blow the gasket out.

On a brand new TW that is under the warranty it might even be a good/smart practice to switch to full synthetic at the first oil change just so any base gasket leak could be detected real early and replaced under the warranty.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I know that synthetic does flow more freely and will find leaks that might not have been present with dino oil. That said, you can't honestly blame a bad base gasket on the type of oil you use. Base gasket leaks have been an ongoing issue and Yamaha supposedly addressed this issue with a newer/better gasket. If I was a guessing man I would guess there is a misalignment issue with where the cases split which allows just enough unevenness to blow the gasket out.

On a brand new TW that is under the warranty it might even be a good/smart practice to switch to full synthetic at the first oil change just so any base gasket leak could be detected real early and replaced under the warranty.

GaryL
    I don't want to blame synthetic oi as such, this is just something lizrdbrth mention of something that could occur with the use of synthetic. I would agree with you that just because this happened in my case doesn't mean the cause was the type of oil used. It is very possible it was the base gasket. As I recall, the gasket did flake or fall apart rather easily.

Unless some study was conducted on base gasket failure and a direct link to the type of oil used during failure, we can only assume it's a possibility or not. Just because it was my experience doesn't make it so, as you pointed out. Just something to watch for I guess.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links