TDub acting weird!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The other day I broke the TW(87) out. Did the annual carb cleansing( done this one twice before w/no probs )Fired her up 3rd kick. Let her warm up 10min or so, and went on a great 15min ride. I parked it waited 30 min went on another ride and about 2min into the ride she starts sputtering?/cutting out. This seems wierd to me cause if it was the carb it wouldnt have let me ride for 15min no probs. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bad gas, some junk coming from your tank and clogging the carb, or you're running out of gas.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Bad gas, some junk coming from your tank and clogging the carb, or you're running out of gas.

yea because if you look closley imto your tank,when your on reserve, you can see gunk in the bottom. my tw did that before i cleaned the tank out.
    -Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and lived.

-Winter is Nature's way of telling you to polish.

-A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

-Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

-Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

-'Oh S$$t!' is usually the moment when your plan parts ways with reality

-Well-trained reflexes are quicker than luck.

-Don't lead the pack if you don't know where you're going.

-What do you call a cyclist who doesn't wear a helmet? An organ donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you let it sit all winter with E10 in the tank you are getting what you deserve. Over time the ethanol forms a layer in the bottom of the tank with the gasoline floating on top. Fuel preservatives slow the separation, but do not stop it. When you pulled the tank to access the carb, you temporarily mixed the ethanol and gasoline. Allowed to sit for a few minutes, the ethanol will settle out rather quickly the second time around. Result is straight ethanol in the float bowl, which will not run well, if at all, in an engine tuned for gasoline.

Solution is to dump the contents of the tank into a car or truck with nearly a full tank of fresh fuel for dilution purposes--best way to rid yourself of aged fuel in an environmentally responsible manner. Refill with fresh fuel and ride happily.

Best permanent solution is pre-emptive action. When you park the bike, turn the petcock off, hold the bike upright, and run the engine until it quits. Pull the enrichment knob, then restart to drain the dregs. Alternatively, you can mess with the drain screw, but that's usually asking for trouble from a stripped screw head. Fill the tank full to the brim with fresh fuel and stabilizer to minimize condensation. When returning the bike to service, drain the tank into a cage, refill with fresh fuel, turn the petcock on, and go. Much easier to do than messing with a carb cleaning every spring.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    ... Allowed to sit for a few minutes, the ethanol will settle out rather quickly the second time around. Result is straight ethanol in the float bowl, which will not run well, if at all, in an engine tuned for gasoline...
    And if there is any water in the fuel, you will have 3 layers, with water at the bottom, where the main jet picks up the fuel.

http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/...l-blended.html

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    ... Fill the tank full to the brim with fresh fuel and stabilizer to minimize condensation. ...
    You had previously recommended emptying the tank and using a fogging oil spray. Have you changed your mind?

jb

Ive never used ethanol. This is the same gas that goes in my XT and my boys 50. When I stored it for the winter I drained the carb and filled the tank with non-ethanol gas. I drained the old and put in fresh 91(no ethanol). When I first started her up she ran great. Wouldnt bad gas have been an issue from the start. I rode it 6-7 miles before it started the weird stuff. Ive ran out of gas before, this feels a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacktire View Post
    ... This seems wierd to me cause if it was the carb it wouldnt have let me ride for 15min no probs.
    If you don't think it's a fuel/air/carb related problem, what's left? ... ignition and/or spark problem. And if it's intermittent, or only when the bike warms up, it may be hard to find.

You can begin by removing the spark plug and checking for spark (when the motor is acting up).

jb

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    You had previously recommended emptying the tank and using a fogging oil spray. Have you changed your mind?

jb

I left out the "E0" part. Glad you caught that omission.

Just because a gasoline is sold as 91 octane doesn't mean it isn't contaminated with 10% ethanol. That is a very common misconception. E10 can be any octane. Are you sure you had E0? Did you test for ethanol content?

Tdub acts weird with 91 (R+M)/2 octane gasoline or gasohol. She just doesn't like high octane.

So last night tinkering I noticed that the sparkplug wire was a tad melted to the head bolt, I taped and ziptied it. Then went on a 10 mile ride no probs. Think this could have been my culprit. Oh yea giant red banner out front of the gas station says no ethanol. Never tried lower octane before, might have to steal some from the tractor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links