Close

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By ssgtrillium
  • 1 Post By VintageGW
  • 3 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 4 Post By admiral

Thread: Idleing too high

Idleing too high

While I was away at the camp last weekend my bike started to rev up a bit and start to idle to high.I noticed that most times if I pulled out the inricher knob and pushed it back in that it would idle down to normal.Any ideas what would cause this? Also the last few weeks when I start the bike cold it idles high for a few minutes like it has an automatic choke then it's fine but now it's doing it much more often.I will first check for vacuum leaks but any other ideas would be helpful.

Sounds like time for a strong dose of Seafoam...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

I'm going to do that first thing when I get home.I hope it's not something that will require me to remove the carb again.I know it's not a big job but I had it off so many times last year that I just don't feel like doing it again for a while..I know..I'm a whiner!
    littletommy and VintageGW like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtrillium View Post
    While I was away at the camp last weekend my bike started to rev up a bit and start to idle to high.I noticed that most times if I pulled out the inricher knob and pushed it back in that it would idle down to normal.Any ideas what would cause this? Also the last few weeks when I start the bike cold it idles high for a few minutes like it has an automatic choke then it's fine but now it's doing it much more often.I will first check for vacuum leaks but any other ideas would be helpful.
    At first blush I would suggest a sticking float valve but only a guess. I agree that taking the carb out is a painful event but after you check for vacuum deals, it may be the next best thing to do. As much as I like the seafoam route, the ultrasonic cleaner has been a much better answer for me. Removing all the jets, and cleaning all the runs and ports may be more fruitful, followed by a several minute bath in the ultrasonic if you have one available. I replaced a missing spring on the needle jet and it returned my idle to normal. I have a thread on that a few months back. https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...turn-idle.html
    Let us know how it goes.
    TWilight likes this.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

check a crack in the intake manifold, also. An air leak can speed up the idle

Otherwise, it could just be a creeping idle screw. You can turn it back with your fingers...right by the choke; big hex-head phillips screw
    Purple, TWilight and immgunn like this.

If you think something is ill on the bottom, after loosening the boot clamps and removing the throttle cables, you can just turn the carb. This would be ok if you're inspecting/removing jets for instance by removing the carb bowl. Saves some time removing the entire carb, though I've gotten really quick at removal and installation of the carb. Either that or my airbox boot has gotten softer with all my removing of the carb. But yes, I sigh everytime I have to remove the carb so I get it! The good thing now is I don't have any problems with the carbs (both TW's).
    TWilight, VintageGW, Mel and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links