I'm at a stop light . . .Frustrated
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: I'm at a stop light . . .Frustrated

I'm at a stop light . . .Frustrated

I'm gliding in those few feet to a stop. While I look one way, then the other, I shift down once more (believing myself to be in 2nd gear). As I start to move, the engine over revs, I look down to see the bike is in neutral. No problem, back off the throttle clutch and shift down again. Then this begins to go on until finally I kick the shifter and 1st gear goes clunk and finally we go on our merry way.

It has happened since I got the bike and it happens often enough that I'm beginning to be both worry and frustrated.

I'm willing to entertain all suggests, comments and advice. Even to ones that tell me I'm and ass and I don't know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Banshee, I am not going to tell you that you are an ass, and don't know what you are doing. That is NOT what you need to hear right now.

Let's get this fixed:

What YEAR is the bike, and how many MILES are on it ? (People, "I" need that specific information for EVERY post where we try to help someone fix a problem)

Have you been the original owner of the bike?

Is the bike still under warranty ?

When was the last time you changed the OIL and cleaned the FILTER on the engine ?

Is your GearShift lever bent at all, like from a fall ?

Does it have anything...at all...to do with the boots or shoes you were wearing ?

Is the Clutch Actuator Arm Return Spring located in the correct position ? This has been a problem on some later bikes...even mine.

Is the Clutch cable adjusted correctly ?

What TYPE and BRAND and WEIGHT of oil are you using in the engine ?

Please know, we all want to help you. The answers to the questions I have poised above, will help us...help you.
    Okay, here we go:

The bike is a 2015 TW200 with less than 80 miles on it. I am the original owner and the bike is under warranty. The oil and filter is whatever the factory put in. Now, bent gear shift, I don't, I'd Have go look. I don't believe it to be boots as it has happened when I've worn my ropers or my Walmart "hiking" boots. I believe it was you who suggested the clutch return spring, at that time checked it against a picture in the owners manual. I now have a service manual; I'll check it again, as well as the clutch adjustment. Oil would be factory recommended.

There you have it, Twilight, I believe I've answered everything correctly (this is a test, right - I get a gold star, ya)
    Last edited by screaminbanshee; 10-07-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: grammer

rbm
    Are you holding the clutch in and trying to downshift through several gears at one time?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What's the oil level?

First of all that bike is barely even broken in, so don't be surprised if this goes away on it's own.

Now, go stand the bike up straight and look at the viewport on the right side of the motor. Make sure the oil level is right between the two lines. If it's too low or too high it will affect your shifting.

If you change it, try some Mobil 1 4T Racing 10w-40. Real nice shifts with that oil.
    1987 - 68mm Wiseco, #116 main, #42 pilot, Lizrd oil cooler, saving up for the Web.

Still under warranty and you don't fix a dam thing! Take it back and demand, I said DEMAND that they get it right!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

rbm - I'll say guilty as charged. I'll release the clutch between 3rd and 4th, but disengage and go 3rd to 2nd and at the stop sign 2nd to 1st.

Twilight - Took a new look at things. Shifter is not bent. The clutch lever has the correct freeplay. However, when I got to the clutch return spring, the push lever indicator is 1/8 +/- to the rear of the case embossed marker. From what you've already told me, that could be the root of a evil.

I believe Hoot and Montezuma live down in the southern tier. I up on the shores of Lake Erie

rbm
    Try releasing the clutch for every gear and report back.

Will do.

I've doctor's appointment and wish to stop at the hardware store - good time to check it out.

Reference the question rbm asked. On my 2015, if I come to a stop and say I'm in 3rd gear try to downshift to first, mine almost always, but not every time hangs up either in 2nd or neutral similar to what you are describing. I can also say if I come to a stop in 2nd, sometimes, but not every time, the same thing, won't go into first or very easily. I did experience something similar, but not nearly as bad on my 2005. It's hard to describe, but if I start to let the clutch out and sometimes I feel it clunk a little. When this happens I can then usually shift it to neutral. Sometimes it won't go from neutral to first when holding in the clutch. When this happens, I let clutch out and pull the handle back in. Every time I have to do this it goes into 1st. (Make double darn sure you're in neutral though)!

Not all forum members have experienced what you are experiencing, but I'm betting there are quite a few others. And I would also suggest many members will agree that the transmission is finicky on the TW when downshifting to first. Without looking at your TW or riding it, I don't want to go out on a limb and say you don't have a problem, but I am suggesting it COULD be somewhat common.

I will have to agree with TWilight, if you think something is wrong and what advice we give from a distance doesn't solve it to your satisfaction, you need to take it to the dealer and have them look at it. They might tell you it's fine or they may find something wrong with it, but if what we give for advice isn't cutting it, please take it to the dealer, especially since it's under warranty!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Yeah, I recommend using the clutch for every gear as well. I also also say give it a healthy blip, or rev, when going down the sequence, especially from second to first. Sometimes if I don't, it does get stuck in neutral on the way down, then I need to clutch again...like double clutching a truck.

The clutch spring check is a big one, make sure that it is hooked up.

When finished with break in, the Mobile 1 4T oil will make a big difference in shifting smoothness. GOOD LUCK!
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links