Carb fixed. Now what?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Carb fixed. Now what?

Carb fixed. Now what?

Ok I finally got a new carb and installed it. It has a 116 main jet in it now. And the needle is shimmed at the second notch. The bike will not idle. Barely even starts. And when it does, it will only run with the choke on full. And only for a short time. The mixture screw is out 2.5 turns. Any ideas?
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

A new carb built specifically for your bike should come with the right jets, shims and pilot adjustment shouldn't it? (although it may be lean for emissions) This is a new carb? Or did you mess with it before installing it?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    A new carb built specifically for your bike should come with the right jets, shims and pilot adjustment shouldn't it? (although it may be lean for emissions) This is a new carb? Or did you mess with it before installing it?
    Used.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have an airbox mod though. And it's still idling just like it was when the carb body was cracked. I don't know what to do at this point. There are no air leaks left. It's idling scary high with the choke on. The exhaust is also popping.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

All I did was clean it. So could be the wrong setup for my bike. Should I go back to the 114? I should keep the shim for my airbox mod right?
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

Not sure what your air box mod is - but it's still running way rich if the exhaust is popping

Go back to 114 and start from there .....

(What is the air box mod) ?
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

OH GOODY! Here we go again. Never, never, ever mess with jets and shims in a carb that is not already running right! So you bought a used carb and cleaned it and then went and did some fiddling in it before you ever knew if it was a working carb. Not cool IMO. You just don't honestly know if there is some orifice in it clogged or even if there is some reason why the seller sold it. It only takes a tiny little issue to make a carb not work right so my suggestion is to take it off, disassemble it completely and soak the body in carb cleaner, maybe for a few days or a week. Then you inspect all the little passages and if possible push a thin wire through them all. Start with all good stock jets, O rings, needle valve and the diaphragm and make sure you put it all in correctly. Once you get the bike running right you can then try to make it run better with different jets and shims. You just don't know now if it is something you did or if the carb has some internal issue tossing you off.

GaryL
    grewen, tcepilot, TWilight and 1 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    OH GOODY! Here we go again. Never, never, ever mess with jets and shims in a carb that is not already running right! So you bought a used carb and cleaned it and then went and did some fiddling in it before you ever knew if it was a working carb. Not cool IMO. You just don't honestly know if there is some orifice in it clogged or even if there is some reason why the seller sold it. It only takes a tiny little issue to make a carb not work right so my suggestion is to take it off, disassemble it completely and soak the body in carb cleaner, maybe for a few days or a week. Then you inspect all the little passages and if possible push a thin wire through them all. Start with all good stock jets, O rings, needle valve and the diaphragm and make sure you put it all in correctly. Once you get the bike running right you can then try to make it run better with different jets and shims. You just don't know now if it is something you did or if the carb has some internal issue tossing you off.

GaryL
    True. That's just how it came. I'll soak it in my ultra sonic and clean it real good.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tcepilot View Post
    True. That's just how it came. I'll soak it in my ultra sonic and clean it real good.
    That was not a slam on you! Many of us have been through this problem a number of times and it always seems to turn out the same. Auto stores sell a carb cleaner in a one gallon paint can that does work great on these carbs, think it is Bikirk's or something close to that name and the carb fits right in the can. You can use it hundreds of times until it is filthy. The point I am trying to drive home is know that the carb is OK before you try tweaking the jets and other stuff. The ultrasonic might work too but you can lose a lot of hair chasing carb issues to find the tiny problem with them.
    Just for fun, I bought a used carb for $100 and then bought all the parts to completely rebuild it with OEM Yamaha innards, all of them. That cost me another $105. The used carb still did not run right so I bought a brand new old style carb from Boats.net for $263 and put it on and drove away very happy.

GaryL
    TWilight likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    ....Auto stores sell a carb cleaner in a one gallon paint can that does work great on these carbs, think it is Bikirk's or something close to that name and the carb fits right in the can...
    GaryL
    Hi Gary!

Good for dissolving body parts too.

If I remember some of your old posts, it's possible to put that old carb back together with parts in the wrong place.

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 10-15-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    fishguy likes this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links