No electric 2008 tw200
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: No electric 2008 tw200

No electric 2008 tw200

original owner. I was riding the bike at slow speed close to home. The bike quit. There is no sign of electric power going to anything, Nothiing to the instrument lights, headlight, starter, turn indicators, etc. The fuses look fine (is one a spare?). No previous trouble after 20,000 miles of laid back riding. What are the most likely things to check on a TW200 after fuses that look fine. Could a fuse look perfect and still be bad? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Welcome to the forum!! Where are you from?

I would check and clean the connections at the battery and the ground. Do you have a voltmeter? How many volts does it show for the battery?
    TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Check your fuse(s) with a multi meter if you have one, if not, get some new ones and try them. And, as LT said above check your battery connections first.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes one of the fuses is a spare.
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the quick feed back I replaced the fuses even though the originals tested good. Battery has a charge (the motor started normally before the trouble). I disassembled the battery posts, wire brushed, touch of grease, reassmbled. I put a lead on the negative post and the other on the frame, bypassing the ground wire and the meter noticed that so doesn't that mean a signal from the post through the frame to the ground wire connection on the frame back to the negative post? Bike is still electrically dead. What next?

I'm in Grosse Point Park Michigan. I generally ride the Tdub from there to historic fort wayne staying close to the Detroit river. Stopping places likeThree mile park, Angel Park, Belle Isle Park, Riiver Walk, Joe Louis, several boat ramps, fishing spots, etc. Then scattered along the way are graveled areas where I do balance practice, Mostly ultra slow ride in straight lines or circles. Or I ride the front wheel into a pot hole, stop, balance, climb out without putting a foot down, etc. May be I care more about the skills than just riding around. Up on the farm is a klx300r bought used. A bit large for the trail riding I do but you ride what you got. The Tdub is an excellent excellent bike for balance practice. I practice on gravel because it lubricates the front tire so less front tire wear sawing the forks side to side to keep the bike up. Balance and muscle memory manage lean and traction. Thanks again for the assistance.
    Last edited by cityot; 10-17-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Bad key switch?

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

rbm
    Check every connection on the bike, pay close attention to the connectors behind the headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Check every connection on the bike, pay close attention to the connectors behind the headlight.
    I can do some disassembly and wiggle everything. What ever the problem it is a wire or device that can stop all power to everything. There would be a limited number of things that can do that. Does anyone know where I can find an electrical diagram? 2008 bike.

(Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Maybe a dumb suggestion, but is the battery okay?
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links