Shorai vs Odyssey?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Shorai vs Odyssey?

Shorai vs Odyssey?

OK I went the cheap AGM Chinese battery route, and it still works, but it needs some help from the charger now and then.
    I am planning a trip away from chargers, or electricity for that matter, so want a better battery. The Shorai and the Odyssey both get good reviews here on a search, and they both cost about $160, give or take a few dollars.
    What I most want is durability and cranking ability after being left in the cold for say 4 or 5 days. We might park the bikes and go backpacking or kayaking for a few days....want it to start when I return.
    Is there much difference in these high end batteries?
    If not, shipping to Alaska can decide for me...
    Thanks.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

This one has been good to me so far. Basically, the same size and chemistry as the Shorai.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
    about double the price of a AGM, but quite a bit cheaper than the shorai.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

The one sponge posted is the one I ordered from Amazon, super small light sealed get rid of the vent tube and good for the Arizona heat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You have to turn your lights on to let the battery warm up when its cold with that Shorai. No experience with the Odyssey.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    ?.... No experience with the Odyssey.
    The Odyessy battery is a top quality, lead-acid, AGM, sealed battery.

I used them them in my BMW and H-D. No weight savings, big and heavy, but heavy duty military grade.

The Shorai in my TW has completed it's 5th season and is still going strong.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    You have to turn your lights on to let the battery warm up when its cold with that Shorai. No experience with the Odyssey.
    Are you saying to turn on your lights and wait a bit before cranking the engine? How long do you wait?

What kind of temperatures will the TW be left at? Lithium batteries do not like sub zero temperatures
    I use a Shorai here in Nunavut but do not expect much riding after freezing temperatures hit.

Quote Originally Posted by boznarras View Post
    Are you saying to turn on your lights and wait a bit before cranking the engine? How long do you wait?
    From the Shorai FAQ's:

"

A. Down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40F/5C, 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0F/-17C, leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. If the engine fails to start on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger. Other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc... Insuring that the battery is fully charged after storage also improves first-start performance in cold weather."

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I use the Battery Tender lithium batteries.
    Have them in one of the PC800s, the 10 Fatboy, TW and a few of the CB/CL bikes. The TW hasn't been started since may, went to the garage two towns away, and after connecting up the battery terminal, it started right up.
    I have to get one for my 14 Ultra and one of the Beemers. Freaken BMW battery didn't even last a year. Went out there to take a ride (When I ride a BMW, I'm a douchebag, remember?) and all I got were clicks. So I had to ride the Fatboy (When I ride a Harley, I'm an asshole). I also took out a moped for a quick jaunt (I'm the guy who can't afford a real bike, LOL)

As long as there is no drain on a lithium, you can store it for over a year. On the Ultra, I'll have to pull the main fuse, as the computer seems to always be "on".
    Never had a problem in very cold temps, as the headlights turn on as soon as you operate the ignition key on most bikes.

When Battery Tender makes or markets a 6V battery, you can be sure that my CT70s, 90s and other 6V bikes will have them.

It is tiring having to change batteries every year or two.
    jbfla and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarpilot View Post
    What kind of temperatures will the TW be left at? Lithium batteries do not like sub zero temperatures
    I use a Shorai here in Nunavut but do not expect much riding after freezing temperatures hit.
    Yes same here, but plans may go out the window on a trip where the bike is parked outside and is the ride home. Could be forced to use it a little below freezing in a pinch...

Thanks for the good input. I think the cheap batteries are fine for day trips here, but I can sense a lot more reserve in the better batteries.
    Of course if I would get busy and put a kicker in it would all mean less...even have some of the parts. Its on the list....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links