• 5 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By Smitty Blackstone
  • 6 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By imgetnone
  • 2 Post By GaryL

Thread: Gas Tank Repair or Replacement

Gas Tank Repair or Replacement

I have a dented gas tank 2003 TW200. I want to keep motorcycle original rather than replacing gas tank with off year model. My thought is to have gas tank repaired. Any recommendations for people that would repair gas tank or a source for 2003 used gas tank in really good condition.

20151021_121457.jpg20151021_121600.jpg

I love that year paint scheme. There are shops that use little tools to tap out dents in cars from the inside, but the tank is probably thicker metal than a car fender so they may not be able to help. Worth asking though I would think.

If you find a tank in that color in better condition, you can help offset the cost by posting yours on eBay or something. It's functional, even with the dent and some folks would find your tank a step up from theirs if they have rust or even larger dents.

One thing you might consider is hiding the dent with some sort of saddle bag style holder. I've seem 'em for quads and also some that hold a pair of water bottles. They go around the gas cap and hang even down both sides of the tank to carry stuff. At least for the time being, it would hide the dent and you might find it so useful that you decide the dent isn't worth bothering with after.
    The bear slayer!

If you find a pristine tank then put it on the shelf and use the one you have. If it gets more dents you won't care and the pristine tank will be there for show and for when you decided to sell the bike.
    Last edited by elime; 10-21-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Anybody out there that specializes in gas tank repair and restoration? I was thinking that there must be a cottage industry out there that specializes in motorcycle gas tank repair. I would think I could pull the tank and UPS the tank to somebody that does this type of work or find somebody that has replaced their tank with an aftermarket tank and has the old tank kicking around? I looked on line and the repair is not all that difficult and labor intensive for a person with the right tools and skill sets. I lack both the tools, skill sets and a shop for this repair job.

Hi Timbo,

Here is a guy in Nevada that advertises vintage gas tank restoration on craigslist. He might be able to help you out.

Brian

Dirt bike FUEL TANKS

I had a dent in the gas tank of my BMW repaired by a local body shop.

They pulled the dent from the outside, and tapped from the inside.

The resulting rough surface was filled with Bondo, and then painted with the factory paint color.

It was an expensive repair....$600. ....but a new tank would have cost me $1,200.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    This came up on another forum... So I asked my local dent puller Guy.. He said, "No Problem, do not expect miracles, and it shouldn't cost too much if you don't rush me."
    jbfla likes this.

I bought a tank from a member here that had a very similar dent but not quite as severe as yours. My cave in did not have a crease or any paint damage. Someone said to fill the tank with water and freeze it. I tried that as it seemed viable that while the water freezes and expands it could pop the cave in out. It did not work. I took this tank to a guy who specializes in "Paintless" dent repairs on cars and he told me the tank metal is too thick for his magic.

Just for fun I plugged the petcock hole and found a big rubber stopper plug that fit in the cap hole to plug it. I am not recommending that anyone try this!!!!! I drilled a hole in the big rubber plug and set my air compressor at 35 PSI and started filling the tank with air. My dent popped right out and I challenge anyone to even find where the dent was. With your tank and the creased dent where the paint has damage I would not expect such success but this did work for me.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sounds like a plan. I have a mild knee dent in my 02 tank w/o crease or paint damage. If you don't mind providing a few more details. How did you plug the petcock? Where did you find the stopper? How did you seal the two notches that lock the cap in the filler openings? Thanks for your help.
    littletommy likes this.

At a Swimming pool place I found various size rubber stoppers. I got one that fit inside pretty well and still allowed some of the compressed air to escape. I drilled a hole in the stopper for the air blaster. I plugged the petcock holes and very carefully pumped the tank with air. It actually did not take all that much pressure to pop the knee dent out but this is a very dangerous procedure if you do get the pressure too high. Go at your own risk and understand you could blow out the tank if you pump it up too high. My dent popped at around 30 PSI.

GaryL
    JerseyJeeper and littletommy like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links