Snake oil?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake oil?

I have no knowledge of petro-chemistry or chemistry in general, so what do any of the experts think of this product.

My first thoughts are snake oil but as I said I am not educated in this field.

One of my bikes has a plastic fuel tank and I have heard that ethanol can cause problems with tanks expanding and distorting.

Thanks for any input.

See link > http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9727

As long as ethanol is in your fuel, you are going to have problems. This product may reduce those problems, but you are still going to have problems.

Better to find a fuel supply without ethanol. If you can't find a supply of rthanol-free petrol, it is easy to separate ethanol form contaminated fuel. Simply add 5% by volume distilled water to you contaminated fuel, stir will, then allow to sit for a couple hours. The water and ethanol will combine and settle to the bottom. Pour the purified petrol off the top. This petrol will be a few octane lower than it was with the ethanol, so either start with petrol of higher octane than your engine requires or add a volume of toluene equal to the volume of ethanol removed to the purified petrol to restore octane. As a final treatment I filter the petrol through a chamois to remove any dust or dirt or remaining water.

The water-ethanol mix that settles out of the petrol makes a dandy weed killer that cuts way down on my yard work.

Tdub hates contaminated gasoline. Switching from one to the other is a 8-11kph difference in top speed.

Thanks Qwerty, all UK petrol now contains 5% ethanol and it's due to increase in 2013.

I suppose some protection is better than no protection and one bottle will treat 50 UK gallons so not too expensive.

I am always cynical of additives. It's like emotional blackmail, "If you CARE for your bike,car, boat, or whatever you must have this".

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you CARE, you'll hassle with removing the ethanol and adding toluene to restore the octane rating.

or you can just put feul in at the pump,drives away, and saves youself a bunch of time.just my 2 sense.

fontintown firmarshel,

tenny

Quote Originally Posted by underthewheel View Post
    or you can just put feul in at the pump,drives away, and saves youself a bunch of time.just my 2 sense.

fontintown firmarshel,

tenny

You could, if you want to give up 10-15% of your engine performance, and evenutally have to replace all the rubber in your carb.

Qwerty, how about these two? Same or similar?

I'm already sold on the benefits of Seafoam, but if the Berryman is a reasonable substitute, I would be willing to change.

At Walmart Seafoam is $7.77 and Berryman is $2.97.

http://berrymanproducts.com/Products...Additives.aspx

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Neither. You cannot undo the contamination of gasoline with ethanol by adding more contaminates. Nothing you can add to E5 or E10 will restore the power lost by running a gasoline contaminated with ethanol. Either find real gasoline (E0), remove ethanol from contaminated gasoline and, if necessary, restore the octane by adding toluene, or live with the lowered engine output of contaminated gasoline.

When it comes to storing anything runnning gasohol, drain everything or suffer the consequences. Additives delay, but do not prevent, the separation of the fuel components and the consequential damage. There is nothing that can be added to gasohol to prevent separation once condensation occurs. Nothing. All it takes is a few drops of water to start the process.

Thanks, I agree on the draining for storage.

I should have been more specific in the question.

I am more concerned with the cleaning properties of the two products; for carb cleaning and reducing carbon in the cylinder.

The Berryman can label says it has toluene in it.

http://berrymanproducts.com/Portals/0/docs/0112.pdf

http://www.mta.ca/administration/fac...Co.%202010.pdf

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

If you run a fuel filter, which the TW has in the petcock, no reason to add anything to the gas. Toluene will not preserve fuel. It is an octane boosting additive.

The Berryman product is

MIXED XYLENES octane booster additive

N-PROPANOL octane booster additive

2-BUTOXYETHANOL ethanol? You want more ethanol? Absorbs water in the fuel tank and carries it harmlessly through the fuel system. Just fill up with E10 and do the same thing for free.

ETHYL BENZENE octane booster additive

Really, the only thing in the B-12 that will clean anything is the ethanol. You can derive the same benefit from running E10. No sense spending money on an additive that does the same thing with about the same active ingredient.

SeaFoam adds a lubricant to its octane booster and uses a different alcohol, but does the same as the Berryman's. You really don't need either.

Riding on a day with 98% humidity (in the rain) will do all the combustion chamber cleaning the water the alcohols in the fuel additives do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links