engine Knocking sound????
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hello, if anyone can give me a clue to my little problem I would appreciate it.

Tw 2009 600 miles on it.

There is a high pich knocking sound that seem to be coming from de valves. It only does this when the bike is warm and at low rpm (idle as well). if I give it some gas the bike sounds fine and when the rpms come back down to idle, it takes 2 or 3 seconds before the sound starts again??????

I ajusted the valves at 500 miles. I checked the valves a second time to see if I did something wrong and the intake needed a very minor ajustement. I checked the tensioner and it seemed fine and the noise is still there.

I am not a mechanic but I know a litte bit and I've ajusted a couple of dozen valves on different bikes and never had any trouble. I know the procedure.

I have another tw 2003 with 6000miles and it does not do the sound in question.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Cruiser
    The journey is more important then the destination and to have someone to talk to about your journey is the most important of all. Enjoy every day and keep riding.

So I read so other posts on jetting and fuel to try to figure out if the bike is tune right.

From what I read the jetting is fine but I did not know that because the engine has a low compression ratio it is better to go with lower octane but with no ethanol ( I ran with 94 octane from petro-canada).

I live in Canada and I have to check tomorrow at the fuel station which grade does not contain ethanol. I'm sure the 87 can contain up to 15% ethanol but I'm not sure for the 89 and 91.

To come back to my little problem, The sound is more like a clicking. I checked the valves clearance a third time and the intake was again a little tight .001, so I set to .003. Could it be the break in that is making the clearance change in such a short time?

Will do a test drive has soon has the weather clears.....
    The journey is more important then the destination and to have someone to talk to about your journey is the most important of all. Enjoy every day and keep riding.

Old technology air-cooled motorcycle engines make a lot of noise--some combination clicking and rattling and whirring and knocking is pretty much the norm--part of the character of the bike. Every engine is different--some make more noise than others. That's just the way they are. Make sure everything is properly adjusted and ride it. As time goes by, you'll get used to the particular sounds that are normal for a particular bike--if the sound of a particular bike changes, THEN worry. Do not compare the sound of one bike to another bike. Apples and oranges. If you are worried about a bike, a trip to a good mechanic can bring peace of mind, usually well worth the price.

Valve clearances can vary a thousandth or two depending on engine temp. You can worry yourself to death over a thousandth or two. Just set them according to the instructions, aim for a bit toward the loose side on a new engine (clearance tends to tighten with break-in) and fuhgetaboutit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Different topic, but since this is a warm thread..... I'm wondering about any tips on cahnging the back sprocket? is it hard to do alone? I have a guy who knows a lot and will help, but he's on a vacation. I'd really like to get this 45T sprocket on since I'd like to commute to work this week. The bike is brand new and I don't want to run the rpm's up too high yet. BTW- I'm not a total mechanical idiot..... but I'm in my 50's and have been paying to have any work done on my vehicles for the last few (oop's many) years now. I used to tinker some in my 20's.... or should I just wait for help?? (Qwerty????) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minnesota View Post
    Different topic, but since this is a warm thread..... I'm wondering about any tips on cahnging the back sprocket? is it hard to do alone? I have a guy who knows a lot and will help, but he's on a vacation. I'd really like to get this 45T sprocket on since I'd like to commute to work this week. The bike is brand new and I don't want to run the rpm's up too high yet. BTW- I'm not a total mechanical idiot..... but I'm in my 50's and have been paying to have any work done on my vehicles for the last few (oop's many) years now. I used to tinker some in my 20's.... or should I just wait for help?? (Qwerty????) thanks

It's nuts and bolts to change it. Nothing hard. Go for it. Supposed to snow this week so if you start and can't finish you'll have time to wait for your buddy to get back from vacation

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Hello, if anyone can give me a clue to my little problem I would appreciate it.

Tw 2009 600 miles on it.

There is a high pich knocking sound that seem to be coming from de valves. It only does this when the bike is warm and at low rpm (idle as well). if I give it some gas the bike sounds fine and when the rpms come back down to idle, it takes 2 or 3 seconds before the sound starts again??????

I ajusted the valves at 500 miles. I checked the valves a second time to see if I did something wrong and the intake needed a very minor ajustement. I checked the tensioner and it seemed fine and the noise is still there.

I am not a mechanic but I know a litte bit and I've ajusted a couple of dozen valves on different bikes and never had any trouble. I know the procedure.

I have another tw 2003 with 6000miles and it does not do the sound in question.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Cruiser

Maybe try to get a video of the sound and post on youtube for others to listen to??
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks qwerty for the reassurance. I will keep riding the bike for a few weeks and see how it goes and if I need more reassurance I will see a mechanic about it.

I had a gas question if you don't mind, because you seem to be very knowledge on the subject ( and almost every subject for that matter). If you had to choose between 87 and 89 that can contain up to 10% ethanol and 91 with no ethanol what would you do????

Keep in mind that I don't have the time to play chemist and separate the ethanol.

Thanks if you have the time to answer.

Hi pgilles, thanks for the video idea, I'm just worried that the sound quality be to low to get a proper diagnosis, we will see.

For your rear sprocket project the job is pretty easy, but you may need a chain cutter to remove one of the links. I put a 47t on mind and the only problem I had is with the replacement sprocket ( a JT ). It was thinner in the center then the original so I had to put some washers on the bolts because the treads were not long enough.

Remove the butterfly nut for the rear drum-Undo the big nut for the wheel ,22mm I think- remove the VERY LONG shaft- Move the wheel forward to get the chain of on the exterior side of the swing arm and you got the wheel in your hands- Remove the drum brake from the wheel hub and change your sprocket for some smooth highway driving.

Put the drum brake back in the wheel- position the the wheel between the swing arm and put the shaft back in( good idea to put some grease on the shaft before re-installation) and don't be scared to hit the shaft with a rubber hammer if it does not want to go in all the way ( try your best to align every thing)- get the chain back on and the the long rod that works the rear brake( you can press the rear brake pedal to get some more play )- Put the butterfly nut on- Put the big nut for the shaft back on and just tight enough that you can play with your chain adjusters.

To adjust chain - put the adjusters to the lowest setting ( back wheel nearest to frame)- See if you can get a complete link off the rear sprocket but with keeping a little bit a slack for good chain tension, If so you can remove a link.

Sorry I don't know the word in english for the special link (maille patent in french) that can be undone with some normal pliers and put back with some long nose pliers. Most small chains have this special link. Remember to remove a complete link because there is a inner outer pattern to the chain.

Hope this is useful.

Sorry I got the wrong name, the info is for you MINNESOTA

Sorry I don't know the word in english for the special link (maille patent in french)

maille patent = Master Link

Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks qwerty for the reassurance. I will keep riding the bike for a few weeks and see how it goes and if I need more reassurance I will see a mechanic about it.

I had a gas question if you don't mind, because you seem to be very knowledge on the subject ( and almost every subject for that matter). If you had to choose between 87 and 89 that can contain up to 10% ethanol and 91 with no ethanol what would you do????

Keep in mind that I don't have the time to play chemist and separate the ethanol.

Thanks if you have the time to answer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links