Chain and sprocket replacement
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Chain and sprocket replacement

I ordered some new sprockets and a chain as the '93 I just purchased is likely still running the original parts and they were looking a bit worn. I got a standard 14-tooth front sprocket and a 47-tooth rear, figuring I'd gear it up just a tad for better street performance.

I called my mechanic buddy over to do the install, and he noted that on this bike one must remove the crankcase cover (and drain the oil) to get to the front spocket (which I guess is more complicated than on some bikes where getting to the front sprocket is much simpler he says.) Thus, he's recommending that before we get started we order a new crankcase seal (as the old one will likely come off in pieces he says, as well as a shift-shaft seal (as it too is likely worn and might as well replace it while we are in there.). He also noted that where the chain goes around the rear sprocket there is a plastic guide and wondered if it should not have a bottom part on which the chain rides (it does not and looks like this has worn off or perhaps another owner cut it off?) Does this all sound legit to you?)

So, before we can even get started, it means yet another trip to the dealer for parts, (and waiting until Tueday as they are closed on Mondays). Then, we cross our fingers and hope the parts are in stock or it's even more waiting. I'm also wading through electrical issues as the battery won't charge. I replaced the regulator/rectifier but that didn't lick it. We now suspect some bad wiring connections which also means more parts.

Arghh! Such are the trials and tribulations of buying a used bike. I'd like to be riding it rather than waiting for parts!

Your mechanic buddy is just being thorough. Changing the seals is never a bad idea, and the odds of wiping out the cover gasket are pretty good given your bike's age. Better to have one on hand, and since you're ordering one, might as well get the seals.

I do think he's mistaken regarding the chain rubguard, though. The portion that runs on the top of the swingarm should be about 2 inches longer than the lower part. The lower portion is only about an inch long and squared off as you describe.

One trick that works fairly well for me is to glue the gasket to the COVER side with a VERY light coat of Permatex non-hardening Form-a-Gasket, then lighty oil or Nevrsieze the engine side of the gasket. 9 times out of 10 I can reuse the gaskets if I lightly tap the cover with a rubber mallet until the cover comes free on its own, rather than forcing or pulling the cover off.

Ken likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Don't forget to replace the seals on the drive shaft the sprocket is on. Especially the outer seal. I didn't and had to take it apart again just for the seals.

Also, after you take the chain off and before you remove the side cover wash all the dirt out from around the front sprocket, where red arrows point.

Ken likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Your mrchanic is doing a thorough job. Be thankful. replace the shift shaft seal, both the countershaft seals, and the cvover gasket. With new sprockets and an o-ring chain you'll be good for 20,000+ miles. It would be a pain to redo all that work because of a bad seal. 6 months from now. Kind of like always putting in a throwout bearing with a new clutch.

+1 Yup! Swap front sprocket at oil change time. New gaskets/seals are always a good idea. And this is also a good time for a quick check of valve clearance and timing chain adjustment.

Hey... ya already have the engine open, look around a bit, maybe find a problem before it bites ya.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Your mechanic buddy is just being thorough. Changing the seals is never a bad idea, and the odds of wiping out the cover gasket are pretty good given your bike's age. Better to have one on hand, and since you're ordering one, might as well get the seals.

I agree
    2008 TW200

I'll be doing all these seals, gaskets, chain, and sprockets very soon (maybe even the clutch)... Is there a list of part numbers that we could put together for this job? That would make going to the dealership a little easier. AND, is there anyone one here with dealership connections / discounts on stuff? I'm part of a Land Cruiser forum (ih8mud.com) and there are many vendors with OEM parts for much less cost than going straight to the dealership...

Thanks!
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by darnold87 View Post
    I'll be doing all these seals, gaskets, chain, and sprockets very soon (maybe even the clutch)... Is there a list of part numbers that we could put together for this job? That would make going to the dealership a little easier. AND, is there anyone one here with dealership connections / discounts on stuff? I'm part of a Land Cruiser forum (ih8mud.com) and there are many vendors with OEM parts for much less cost than going straight to the dealership...

Thanks!

www.stadiumyamaha.com There are others on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by darnold87 View Post
    ... there are many vendors with OEM parts for much less cost than going straight to the dealership...
    I've found http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...cle/parts.html to be the least expensive for stock parts. Although, my last order took 2 weeks to arrive, and it was sent from Lake Placid FL, about a 2 hour ride from my house.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

A parts list, in pdf format, you can find on the Mexican Yamaha website.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/Manua...ode=TW200&nbsp

You can use the file for 1994, they are all the same anyway till 2001.

I have bought parts from both www.stadiumyamaha.com and www.boats.net, there is not much difference in price between them.

You can compare prices online.
    Ukdave likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links