Stuff that worked for me
Close

Seen a lot of questions about loss of power and sputtering. I had the same problem (1991 TW, 2800 miles) its used and had a lots of abuse and "experts" working on it in the past. What I found that worked excellent was to completely clean the carb and then raise the float level. Worked wonders, no more lean condition and sputtering. Runs very well now. Also found that the All Balls steering stem bearing replacement kit with the tapered roller bearings made the whole bike feel better with excellent front end handling, no more wimpy ball bearings and shaky handling up front. Anyway, just my two cents.
    When in doubt, Gas it!

Quote Originally Posted by jakemistake View Post
    Seen a lot of questions about loss of power and sputtering. I had the same problem (1991 TW, 2800 miles) its used and had a lots of abuse and "experts" working on it in the past. What I found that worked excellent was to completely clean the carb and then raise the float level. Worked wonders, no more lean condition and sputtering. Runs very well now. Also found that the All Balls steering stem bearing replacement kit with the tapered roller bearings made the whole bike feel better with excellent front end handling, no more wimpy ball bearings and shaky handling up front. Anyway, just my two cents.
    I don't know about raising the float level. Is it above recommended level? I'll agree that a clean fuel system is a source of joy.

I'll second the AllBalls prop. I have 36,000 miles on mine and I'm kind of thinking maybe I need to tighten them up a bit.

Sponosred Links