Drove my new tw200 (1997) 10 miles and she locked up!!!!!
Close

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree553Likes

Thread: Drove my new tw200 (1997) 10 miles and she locked up!!!!!

Drove my new tw200 (1997) 10 miles and she locked up!!!!!

Well I bought this 1997 tw200 last fall and got it out today to go shed antler hunting and got about 10 miles from home and downshifted to make a corner, let the clutch out and the motor died! I coasted to a stop with the clutch handle squeezed and tried to restart. Elec start tries but can't turn the engine. Kick start is stuck. Got it home and dropped the oil; everything looks good no metal or flakes. No metal particles on filter. Oil level was correct and had been changed by previous owner last fall.
    Prior to this I never thought the clutch felt right when taking off. It wouldn't grab till the clutch handle was almost all the way out. Which was uncomfortable for me with small hands and short fingers.
    What do I do next? Anybody have a diagnosis for me ? I hope this is t gonna cost me a grand to fix. Could the internals of the clutch cause something like this. I should also note that prior to this the tw had a ticking noise at highway speeds that I was in the process of diagnosing but unfortunately I have a new problem to fix; probably related I would guess. I was hope it the ticking was a high speed vibration of the wiring or something but I have a feeling it was something in the engine. No cracks or holes in the motor though. spark plug is dry dry
    Last edited by Rokon84; 02-27-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokon84 View Post
    Well I bought this 1997 tw200 last fall and got it out today to go shed antler hunting and got about 10 miles from home and downshifted to make a corner, let the clutch out and the motor died! I coasted to a stop with the clutch handle squeezed and tried to restart. Elec start tries but can't turn the engine. Kick start is stuck. Got it home and dropped the oil; everything looks good no metal or flakes. No metal particles on filter. Oil level was correct and had been changed by previous owner last fall.
    Prior to this I never thought the clutch felt right when taking off. It wouldn't grab till the clutch handle was almost all the way out. Which was uncomfortable for me with small hands and short fingers.
    What do I do next? Anybody have a diagnosis for me ? I hope this is t gonna cost me a grand to fix. Could the internals of the clutch cause something like this. I should also note that prior to this the tw had a ticking noise at highway speeds that I was in the process of diagnosing but unfortunately I have a new problem to fix; probably related I would guess. I was hope it the ticking was a high speed vibration of the wiring or something but I have a feeling it was something in the engine. No cracks or holes in the motor though. spark plug is dry dry
    Sounds to me like the clutch is not disengaging? Can you confirm the bike is in neutral? I am no mechanic.

Tom
    Last edited by Dryden-Tdub; 02-27-2016 at 03:05 PM.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

No expert here, but I heard that "ticking" noise moments before my sv650 threw a rod bearing on the highway. that was an exciting day.
    -13 TW200
    -08 DRZ400s
    -08 Roadstar warrior
    -15 Sherco ST 3.0
    -08 Aprilia Tuono
    -Missing my DR650 a little bit

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The neutral light on the dash indicated neutral. Bike will roll in neutral with clutch in either position. Bike will not roll in gear with clutch engaged. Bike will roll in gear with clutch disengaged but you have to bump it pretty good to get it going; acts like the clutch grabs a bit when it shouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by Rokon84 View Post
    The neutral light on the dash indicated neutral. Bike will roll in neutral with clutch in either position. Bike will not roll in gear with clutch engaged. Bike will roll in gear with clutch disengaged but you have to bump it pretty good to get it going; acts like the clutch grabs a bit when it shouldn't
    Yeah that seems to be pretty normal. My TW is the same way. If I put it in gear and squeeze in the clutch, I have to rock it a bit to get it to roll.

So then... to be clear... the starter isn't turning the motor and the kickstarter won't turn it over either?

Try pulling the spark plug and see if you can spin it with the kickstarter.

Also, where are you located? There might be somebody closeby who can help.
    Gerry and jtomelliott49 like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Those tests seem to rule out the clutch. Good progress so far.
    Can you pull spark plug and peek inside with an compact LED or inspection light to look for irregularities?
    With plug out can you roll bike backwards in gear to reverse the piston travel direction while listening for audible clues?
    The clutch feel is likely normal, but I don't think the ticking at highway speeds is.
    Gerry and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Correct. The kick start nor the elec start will turn it over. Taking the spark plug out makes no difference.

Okay, still any number of issues that are non-catastrophic, but they are getting more complicated.

if it were mine, I'd pull the timing chain cover off and ensure that looks right... isn't loose or broken or anything. It's entirely possible if the timing chain snapped, it's jammed up and preventing the motor from turning over.

Next, I'd pull the side covers... pull the clutch basket, look for stuff in there out of place. This is where having somebody local could help.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Pulled the plug and looked inside the best I could. Appears as thought piston is down and maybe a valve is open. I can see 4-5 marks on the back of the cylinder wall that appear to be perfectly perpendicular to the direction the piston travels. They seem to go all the way around the inside of the piston wall. Idk what a piston wall should look like! Doesn't seem to be deep gouges though

image.jpegI'm no expert and I don't have any manuals. There are some covers on the clutch side that look fairly easy to pull off. I have no idea where the timing chain is. What do the two big slotted things on the clutch side access; they look like they are made for a huge flat screwdriver to unscrew.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links