gas running from airbox
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question

Just bought a 2001. owner drove it over (no motorcycle lic yet) and parked it in garage. went on vacation and came back to find that the fuel valve was left open and choke on. Tried to start, turned over fine, coughed, died then but nothing but crank crank crank... till battery dead. charged battery, pulled plug, got spark so i think Im OK there. turned it over a few more times the clearly smelled fuel. (sure not a great test, but there was a very strong smell.

so... spark (check) fuel (check) air? openned air box and a quart of gas ran out onto the floor.... assumed result of leaving valve open for two weeks? left open to let everything dry out over night. came back day later and attempted to start again (with airbox open) fired right up but 2 seconds later, gas runs out of the airbox as if it was from a pitcher (right on my shoe) turn motor off. gas stops flowing onto floor. started again, same result. we are not talking drip drip... but a full flow.

Assume CARB? HELP... what do i do next? I can follow directions, but not a great first time try something randomly. ideas, suggestions, HELP new owner, first bike in 30 years, cant go play, not a good way to start back into bike riding!

Quote Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
    Just bought a 2001. owner drove it over (no motorcycle lic yet) and parked it in garage. went on vacation and came back to find that the fuel valve was left open and choke on. Tried to start, turned over fine, coughed, died then but nothing but crank crank crank... till battery dead. charged battery, pulled plug, got spark so i think Im OK there. turned it over a few more times the clearly smelled fuel. (sure not a great test, but there was a very strong smell.

so... spark (check) fuel (check) air? openned air box and a quart of gas ran out onto the floor.... assumed result of leaving valve open for two weeks? left open to let everything dry out over night. came back day later and attempted to start again (with airbox open) fired right up but 2 seconds later, gas runs out of the airbox as if it was from a pitcher (right on my shoe) turn motor off. gas stops flowing onto floor. started again, same result. we are not talking drip drip... but a full flow.

Assume CARB? HELP... what do i do next? I can follow directions, but not a great first time try something randomly. ideas, suggestions, HELP new owner, first bike in 30 years, cant go play, not a good way to start back into bike riding!

Your float needle is stuck in the open position. Don't attempt to start it again until you fix it. The cylinder could fill with gas and you'll lock up the motor hydraulically and bend important and expensive stuff.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bend important and expensive stuff... Sounds important thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This sounds like a fire waiting to happen. Be careful with things that make sparks around gasoline!

If it was my bike, I'd already have the carb in pieces, and I'd be going after it with a can of carb cleaner and an air hose. I'd also change the oil just in case any of that flood ended up in the crankcase. Also, drain the condensation trap on the bottom of the airbox.

Thank you for the advice.

Odd part was this only happens when running? Tuen it off the flow stops. Almost like a fuel pump (yes I know - none)

fire? Crossed my mind, fuel pouring out on my shoe right next to the battery charger was a concern that made me move quickly.

Being new to bikes (last ride was 30 years ago) clearly rebuilding or cleaning a carb in pieces is something new and not in my skillset. So this is going to be a take it really slow. Just not the place I saw my re intro into bikes starting.

Not happy

Not happy

We'll talk ya down from the cliff.

You might consider putting your location on your profile. In our little "community" of screwballs you might have someone close by who would already be at your house, fixin your carb, drinkin your beer, stealing your lawn flamingos...

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    We'll talk ya down from the cliff.

You might consider putting your location on your profile. In our little "community" of screwballs you might have someone close by who would already be at your house, fixin your carb, drinkin your beer, stealing your lawn flamingos...

Just did... Simi Valley Ca.

anyone... please.....

Just did... Simi Valley Ca.

anyone... please.....

You've got mail.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

first week of owning a TW... not exactly what i had planned...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links