What kind of oil and filter do you suggest for my 1988 tw200?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What kind of oil and filter do you suggest for my 1988 tw200?

What kind of oil and filter do you suggest for my 1988 tw200?

Help please, what oil is running best in your tw's? i have a 1988 with 1,900 original miles that i just bought about a month ago but im unsure how long the oil has been sitting in it and how much is in it really, so i just wanna change it just so i know and to keep it running in tip top shape. Thank you
    littletommy likes this.

With 1,900 miles the rings are probably well seated if a conventional petroleum oil was used. Thus a switch to a full synthetic now might give you easier shifting and better mileage. Topping the list of recommended oils by our members seems to be the Mobil 1 4T in a 20w50. The 4T designation implies compatibility in a wet clutch 4 stroke motorcycle engine and is not exclusive to the Mobile brand. For example I just purchased the Castrol equivalent full synthetic four stroke motorcycle oil.
    Possible downside of more slippery full synthetic is sometimes cylinder base gaskets start weeping a bit of oil. However base gasket is fairly easy to replace and a little maintenance for a 1988 motorcycle is to be expected.
    One quart bottle for ~$9 should make your bike happy. You hopefully have the infinitely re-usable mesh oil filter in the cylinder head so that could be simply cleaned and reinstalled. Do not confuse this with the second wire mesh filter @ bottom of engine where you drain out the old oil...both need cleaning. I just use hot water and detergent in the laundry sink and hope the wife doesn't catch me.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I use Yamaha OEM filter screen (research this carefully and make sure it is the correct screen - if you replace). You may just keep reusing the brass screen, just clean with brake cleaner or kersene - they last for several thousand miles.

For oil, and this is opens a world of debate:

In summer (due to high desert temps and high mileage - I have 19k on mine) I use Mobile 1 20w50 v-twin
    In Winter (due to low temps) I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T `10W40

You would be fine sticking with the 10w40 Mobil1 4t.

TW loves synthetic! Smoother and quieter

My bike seems to smoke using dino oil.
    Fred, littletommy and TWilight like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Any decent motor oil will work. I went back to Royal Purple 5W-30 for Northern Michigan. On the back there may be a small circle with API Service ** across the top. They say, (you know, that institution of all knowing knowledge that no one has to claim ownership of), that some oils that have "Energy Conserving" or "Friction Modifiers" in the bottom portion of that circle can lead to clutch slippage and premature wear. Never seen it or experienced it in the 50 years I've been riding and I always change my own oil.

I use K&N Disposable filters # KN-143. Make sure it has the four holes on one end.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 05-06-2016 at 03:48 PM.
    Purple and TWilight like this.

Im using K&N filters from Amazon and Shell Rotella White jug.
    Hidden Content

Oregon, love the climate and riding, not so much the lefty politics.

I just use Quaker synthetic...its only just over 1 quart so it wont break the bank...the owners manual I happen to have right in front of me says 10w30 for up to 85deg or so....if you are in the desert a lot then 20w40
    2005 Tdub

Here we go again...

Seriously, Yamaha spec's say the oil needs to meet the JASO-MA standard. Just go find a bottle that meets that standard and you will be fine. Most likely you will find that oil in a bottle that has a picture of a motorcycle on it..... Putting car oil in there you are flirting with disaster. Weight wise i would say 10w40 for your area will be just fine.

Like the others said if it has a brass filter, just clean it and put it back in. If its paper replace it but make sure it has the 4 holes.

Here is a shot of the yamaha manual that i shamelessly stole from another thread.
    TW200 oil viscosity.jpg
    Last edited by jb882; 05-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

image.png

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Here we go again...

Seriously, Yamaha spec's say the oil needs to meet the JASO-MA standard. Just go find a bottle that meets that standard and you will be fine. Most likely you will find that oil in a bottle that has a picture of a motorcycle on it..... Putting car oil in there you are flirting with disaster. Weight wise i would say 10w40 for your area will be just fine.

Like the others said if it has a brass filter, just clean it and put it back in. If its paper replace it but make sure it has the 4 holes.

Here is a shot of the yamaha manual that i shamelessly stole from another thread.
    TW200 oil viscosity.jpg

Thank you for suggestions, yeah I get weary in using full synthetic because people talk about it leaking and such. I'm prob gunna use regular 20-50, I forget the brand though that the local motorcycle shop had. Attached is a photo of suggested oil on sticker behind fender plate.image.jpeg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links