Odd Tire Wear
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Tire Wear

Hey guys, been watching my front tire (knobby) and it looks like the center tread is wearing away. If you're looking at the bike from head on, the center tread is wearing at a slope, from "north" to "south". I'm talking almost 3/8 of an inch all the way to almost nothing. I bought the bike used, 2 1/2 yrs ago and I would imagine the tires are the originals. Is that just old tires wearing really bad or what? I think I have 20 psi in the tire and I do 99% street riding. Back tire is fine, looks like I'm gonna have to get a new front (may go street style tire). Just wondering what is causing the front to wear so strangley. Thanks for any info fellas...

Most road lanes in the US are slightly sloped toward the shoulders for water runoff. This does cause motorcycle tires to wear more on the right side when viewed from the riding position. Why then don't we see it on the back tire? Probably due to the fact that most rear tire wear comes from acceleration or wheel spin during take off. Just my two cents.

It's from constant hard braking, or normal braking with overinflated tires over time. Disc brake bikes will generally do this sooner in a tire's life than drums.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

lizrdbrth,

Now that you mention it, I have had other bikes with single front disc brakes and noticed front tire wear to be uneven much like StevieP mentions. In either case if handling is not jeopardized, probably nothing to worry about.

thanks guys. I had a feeling it might've been from the braking but I didn't think i was braking overly hard. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Most road lanes in the US are slightly sloped toward the shoulders for water runoff. This does cause motorcycle tires to wear more on the right side when viewed from the riding position. Why then don't we see it on the back tire? Probably due to the fact that most rear tire wear comes from acceleration or wheel spin during take off. Just my two cents.

Sorry, I should have said the tires wear more on the left side when seated on bike due to the crown in the road.

I noticed this week that my front (factory original) tire is getting worn down. The lugs in the center are wearing so that the profile looks like a saw blade. When a lug is on the pavement the front is down to under a 1/4" and the back edge of the lug is at least 3/8". I can feel each lug hit the pavement when I'm walking the bike or riding real slow. It has also developed a louder tire whine at higher speeds.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I'm not so sure that the wear you're talking about is so "odd". Every street going motorcycle that I've ever owned has worn in the pattern you're describing. Of course, I'm kind of an "odd" guy, so that may explain it.

Mine did this too. I replaced the tire when it started to 'wiggle' 'a bit on corners due to the wedge shaped treads...

Check/change your fork oil. A bouncy front end with worn out oil or too little oil will exascerbate the wear.

If you truly have 3/8" tread fading to zero you're either grossly overinflated, need fork oil, or both. Most street tires wear this way, as Rodney said. But ramping to that extent indicates a problem. Look into it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links